the study of the kicking components within sports

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

NFL 2010 Preseason Week Three K Quotes

Some kicking and punting news and quotes from the third week of the NFL preseason...

Against the Cardinals, the Bears' kicker Robbie Gould hit a 22 yard field goal, but had a 38 yard attempt blocked and his 48 yard attempt hit the left upright. He noted:
"Both of them were my fault. The first one took too long to get off. That's on me. Obviously, if it takes me longer it puts a lot of stress on the guys up front. I've got to take the blame for it. It was my fault and the miss was my fault, too… It has nothing to do with [long snapper Patrick Mannelly’s injury]. It just happens. You make some, you miss some."
Jason Hanson warmed-up prior to the Browns' game and is expected to play this week. Lions' head coach Jim Schwartz commented:
"It was first time he had kicked from over on some hashes where he sort of had to torque his body a little bit and he was able to get through it pretty good, I think. I mean, time will tell. We'll really see tomorrow sort of how he is. As long as he didn't get sore from the work, I think we'll be OK. But this was a big test for him because, like I said, when you start lining up on some of those hashes you got to really torque your body and that's his plant foot that he had his injury on, so if he made it through this and stays the way he's been, then that's a really good sign for him."
Following the Colts game, the Packers' special teams coordinator Shawn Slocum commented on the punting competition between Tim Masthay and Chris Bryan:
“Tim had a very good punt. It was in perfect position and that was positive. Obviously, Tim had a good game and he also kicked off well and held well…. We’ve got a large body of work to go off of. It’s not about one performance and one game. As important as these games are, we’re also going to consider the entire body of work.”
Texans' head coach Gary Kubiak discussed the ongoing kicker competition between Neil Rackers and Kris Brown:
"It's been an impressive battle. Two great guys and they both have handled it very professionally. But obviously, we can only have one, so it will be a very difficult decision."
Last week, Patriots kicker Stephen Gostkowski signed a four year contract extension worth approximately $14 million. He commented:
"I just did my part by showing up and trying to get ready for the season. That’s all I could do. Luckily, it worked out, and I’m very grateful I have the opportunity to play here for a couple more years…. You just never know what’s going to happen. The patience paid off. Last year, I thought maybe I’d get [an extension]. You wait around, you never know."

This post sponsored by Footballguys.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment