the study of the kicking components within sports

Friday, September 10, 2010

Thursday Night Kickers & Coaches

After Olindo Mare missed a pair of field goal attempts in a game last year, his coach was less than supportive in his comments to the press. Last night, two kickers that each missed two field goals received a stronger show of support from their respective coaches.

Temple University's sophomore kicker Brandon McManus got off to a slow start last night, missing two FGs in the first half. He redeemed himself with a third quarter score and then a 30 yard game winner in overtime to give the Owls a 13-10 win over Central Michigan. McManus commented after the game:
"I like pressure. I like the fact that their coach called timeout. I think they think it's going to freeze the kicker. It didn't freeze me. I accepted the role.... It's hard not to think about the previous two. I tried to block it out of my mind. I know what I did wrong. The big thing that was important to me was, my teammates continued to talk to me. They continued to believe in me."
Temple head coach Al Golden said of his kicker:
"I'm really happy he had the chance to atone [for his misses], get that opportunity."
New Orleans Saints kicker Garrett Hartley's season got off to a slow start last night when he missed both his field goal attempts in the teams 14-9 win over the Minnesota Vikings. Following the game, Hartley noted:
“Both of those were completely me. The snap, hold and protection were great. Things like that are inexcusable at this level. I just have to look back and not over analyze things and just kick the ball. That’s what I do. That’s what I’ve been doing and that’s what I’m going to continue to do.... Regardless of who talks to me and tells me it’s OK, I know it’s not OK at this level and to go out there and miss field goals that could definitely secure a touchdown plus the 2-point conversion lead. That’s a mistake, fully on me and I have to correct.”
New Orleans head coach Sean Payton said of his kicker:
"A year ago I would have had three kickers in today... he kicked well in the postseason ... he's our kicker."

No comments:

Post a Comment