the study of the kicking components within sports

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The final AAUGH!

Yesterday we revisited the first batch of reactions to a Charlie Brown and Lucy classic. We showed kickers, punters and coaches a still from the clip below, and then asked them the following questions:
A. What was your gut reaction or initial thought when you first saw the image just now?
B. After at least an hour later, any additional comments you’d like to add?
Today, we look at a few more responses along with some closing comments from someone intimately familiar with the situation.


A. I laughed and said, "That's not cool."
B. I guess Charlie Brown didn't get the "fake field goal call."
C. Laces out Lucy...

Rob Maver, Calgary Stampeders punter
It reminded me of my holders in college until my third year when I got settled in with my great guy. It also reminded me of the first training camp practice when we were auditioning new holders with the exception of the two guys I've rolled with this season!

Craig Pinto, Kicking 4 Celiac
A. Thankfully that's never happened in real life.
B. Thinking about how old I am by looking at that cartoon.

Cartoonist Charles M. Schulz, the creator of the Peanuts comics, once commented:
"I'm astonished at the number of people who write to me saying, 'Why can't you create happy stories for us? Why does Charlie Brown always have to lose? Why can't you let him kick the football?' Well, there is nothing funny about the person who gets to kick the football."
The final word on the matter? Only months before he passed away, Schulz discussed the topic on two occasions:
Schulz had been asked if, for his final Peanuts strip, Charlie Brown would finally get to kick that football after so many decades. His response: "Oh, no! Definitely not! I couldn't have Charlie Brown kick that football; that would be a terrible disservice to him after nearly half a century." Yet, in a December 1999 interview, holding back tears, he recounted the moment when he signed the panel of his final strip, saying, “All of a sudden I thought, 'You know, that poor, poor kid, he never even got to kick the football. What a dirty trick — he never had a chance to kick the football!'”

No comments:

Post a Comment