the study of the kicking components within sports

Monday, November 22, 2010

Anschutz Trophy 2010

MLS Cup
Colorado Rapids 2-1 FC Dallas

The Rapids won their first ever title, in a match that went to extra time. Dallas got on the board first, as league MVP David Ferreira opened the scoring in the first half. Prior to the game, he commented on the award and his hopes for the Finals:
"I dedicate it to my family-my wife, my kids and God, all who believe in me. I also dedicate to all our fans, our teammates and our coaching staff....
It would be quite an end to a great year, a year that I would say that is my best ever since I've been playing soccer."
Colorado leveled the score in the second half with a goal by Conor Casey, who received game MVP honors.
"It feels awesome. The club's waited a long time. I've waited a long time. It's great for so many reasons. We needed a goal. To draw level early in the second half was big for us."
The deciding goal came in the 107th minute and was credited to George John as an own goal:
"I'm not sure if I lunged toward the ball or not. But it happened so fast I think I was trying to lunge to get it and it bounced off me and I looked back and it's going into the back of the net. It cut Hartman off so he had had no chance....
That's the story of soccer. It's a cruel game but I chose to play it."
The deflected goal originated off a shot made by  Macoumba Kandji:
"I wouldn't give [John] credit. I scored that goal. I'm never going to give that credit. That is my goal. He can try to claim it all he wants. They can claim it, that they scored an own goal, but I took the guy on, toe-poked the ball. He just happened to be there....
It's fantastic, man. I'm just so happy."

No comments:

Post a Comment