the study of the kicking components within sports

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

NFL Week 12: Almost, Again, and Many

On Thanksgiving Day, Cowboys kicker David Buehler had the distance on a 59 yarder with 31 seconds remaining that would have tied the game against the Saints. But the attempt went wide to the left.
"I was pretty confident it was good. I hit it well, struck well, gave it the distance, but it drew out at the last second. That sucks man. I thought I made it and was confident it was going in, but it just drew out....
It sucks. This sucks. Put yourself in my shoes – you know how I’m feeling."
For the Falcons, kicker Matt Bryant hit yet another game winner this year. This time it was a 47 yarder with 9 seconds remaining to give Atlanta a 20-17 win over Green Bay.
"Pressure is what you feel when you're not prepared. I've been preparing for that since I was 6 years old. Was there a little bit of pressure? Yeah. But I was prepared."
In Buffalo, Bills kicker Rian Lindell made a 49 yard field with two seconds remaining to send the game to overtime. But the game belonged to Steelers kicker Shaun Suisham. In regulation he hit field goals of 45, 46 & 48 yards. Then in the extra period he hit the winning score from 41 yards out.
"It was a lot of fun. It's amazing what can happen in a month. Start of the month, I lost my mother-in-law. I had been out of football this year. Two weeks ago I wasn't playing football, and now I'm part of the Pittsburgh Steelers and was fortunate to make a kick to win the game."
Sunday night concluded with a Chargers 36-14 win over the Colts that featured plenty of kicker Nate Kaeding. He hit three PATs and field goals of 28, 33, 50, 30 and 20 yards. But afterward he was more interested in discussing kickoffs.
"I think the big story is the way we covered kickoffs, the way those 10 guys came together. With everything we’ve been through this year with special teams, it was a real point of emphasis for us this week, especially with Peyton [Manning] out there and us wanting to give him as long a field as possible. Those guys were outstanding. They covered the heck out of the football, took care of business. It was fun to be a part of it....
That’s as good a job as I’ve ever been a part of. As far as I’m concerned, they pitched a perfect game."

No comments:

Post a Comment