the study of the kicking components within sports

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

NFL Week Eight: Constantly Kicking & Occasionally Kicking

For the second week in a row, Dolphins kicker Dan Carpenter made five field goals. In this week's 22-14 win over the Bengals he was good from 24, 31, 38, 42 and a career-long 54 yards.
"I would rather kick five extra points than five field goals. I want this team to win. Everyone in this locker room wants this team to win, and if it takes kicking five field goals, great. But I’d much rather kick five extra points....
I get a ’good job’ every once in awhile. My teammates leave me alone. They expect me to make field goals. It’s me doing my job."
In the Buffalo at Kansas City game, both kickers got two opportunities in overtime to win the game. With 7:19 remaining, Bills kicker Rian Lindell made an apparent 53 yarder, but it didn't count as a last second icing timeout had been called by Chiefs head coach Todd Haley. On the re-kick, Lindell hit the right upright, and the game continued.
"That's kind of the way it goes. On average, you only get a couple of times where it's on you, so you have to take advantage of it. It's nice when they do go through and when they don't, it's tough to deal with. You don't ever want to miss any kick. We should be celebrating in [the locker room], but we're not. It's all because I didn't make a kick....
I just couldn't hit a clean ball all day, even in warm-ups. That last kick was just another example. I just didn't hit it very well at all. I just got a whole bunch of turf. That grass field was a little chewed up at that time. I just got too much under it and didn't hit it very well. It was going left to right, but the hit on that [ball] was just an odd hit. The snap was good, the hold was good. I just didn't hold up my end of the bargain and it cost us the game."
With 3:38 remaining in overtime, Chiefs kicker Ryan Succop was wide left on a 39 yard attempt. The game wore on. Then with a potential tie game on the line, Succop got one more chance as time was expiring. He was good from 34 yards.
"I hit [the first one] really well, as crazy as that sounds. I guess I learned something from the first one and realized I'm going to have to put this ball outside the post because there was that much wind today. I feel very blessed to have the second opportunity."
While the game winner was the big news, the fact that Succop got to attempt the kicks was also newsworthy. In recent weeks, Haley has opted on more than one occasion to bypass field goal attempts and go for first downs. It is apparently not due to any lack of confidence in Succop, but is allegedly part of some elaborate, diabolical master plan. Succop simply noted:
“When my number is called, I’m just going to do my best to go out there and make the kick.”

No comments:

Post a Comment