the study of the kicking components within sports

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

NFL Week Nine: Three Other Things

Having already discussed the Three Extra Point Attempts and the Three Overtime Field Goals from week nine of the NFL season, that leaves us with the Three Other Things.

Tampa Bay kicker Connor Barth kicked and himself recovered an onside kick in the third quarter, however the play was overturned. Upon review it was seen that the ball had inadvertently grazed Barth's leg before it had traveled ten yards.
"We practice it all the time and it was a good call. I slid by it, the refs made a judgment call and you have to live with it."
On a busy day in which he didn't have any punts, Baltimore punter Sam Koch's biggest play came in the third quarter on what ended up as a fake punt. His 13 yard pass completion was the first ever of his career and gave the Ravens a first down.
"Very interesting day. More than likely, we won't see that again for a while, but I'll continue to punt and do my job....
I saw [Chad Williams] out there, but I just figured someone was going to cover him up sooner or later. However, people just started yelling and yelling and yelling. When I caught the [snap], I was thinking do I punt or throw? I decided to throw it."
San Diego played at Houston, which meant that kicker Kris Brown - still subbing for the injured Nate Kaeding - was back at home. Prior to this year, he was the Texans first and only kicker since they joined the league in 2002..
"When you drive past your house and the street you live on and drive in to work the same way you did for eight years -- it was a lot more emotional than I thought it would be.... That let me come in here and whatever emotions there may have been, I got those over on Saturday. Had I not done that, it probably would have been more difficult."

No comments:

Post a Comment