the study of the kicking components within sports

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

NFL Week Ten: Kicks, Pain & Love

Seattle kicker Olindo Mare probably likes to play against Arizona. In their earlier meeting this year he kicked five field goals. This week, in their second meeting, he kicked five field goals. After the game he didn't discuss the five makes, but rather his one miss - a 29 yarder that hit the left upright:
"There are no gimmes, because they're so good on the rush. (I) tried to rush it a little bit and made a mistake. Thank God it didn't cost us that much."
Three kickers that all rebounded from disappointing 2009 seasons to have a strong first half in 2010, each had a disappointing day this past Sunday.

In the Jets overtime win against the Browns, Nick Folk went 2 of 5 on field goals - missing from 48, 24, and 47 yards.
“You wish you could take some back but you can’t. It was a pretty sloppy day for me.”
Josh Scobee hadn't missed a field goal all year heading into Sunday's game against Houston. The Jaguars kicker missed two against the Texans.
"I've been trying to prepare myself mentally for when it eventually came that I missed a field goal. It might be bad to do that in a sense, because you're setting yourself up for failure. But I feel like I'm handing it better than I would have otherwise. It feels a whole lot better because we won. It was two bad kicks. Now it's time to go out and start working on a new streak....

I didn't make a good effort on that last kick. Fortunately this is a team game and the defense bailed me out big time. They made a huge play there to get the ball back. At that point I'm thinking we're going to go into overtime, so I'm trying to prepare myself mentally. They we get that once-in-a-lifetime Hail Mary. It didn't make up for the fact that I missed that potential game-winner, but it makes dealing with it a whole lot easier. Our defense makes that huge turnover there and I can't thank them enough. Some days you have bad days like I did today and you've got to get over it. I'm already over it."
Cincinnati kicker Mike Nugent had already had his game of field goal misses last week, however this week was worse. Although he did not miss any kicks in the Bengals 23-17 loss to the Colts, he suffered a season ending torn ACL during an onside kick late in the game.
"It wasn’t because I was in the pile. My job is to go left on that and I must have planted and gone the wrong way. I was really happy to see we had the ball."
49ers kicker Joe Nedney sprained his knee on the opening kickoff against the Rams this week, but played the remainder of the game - including hitting a 29 yard field goal in over time. While all of the above, from Mare through Nedney, covers the kicks and pains of the week, it still leaves us with one remaining question... where's the love? That came after Nedney's game winner when he signalled to his wife in the stands:
"Years and years ago, we'd give each other a big 'I love you' sign. She's been getting a little upset because I've been shirking my duties lately. I had to make sure I pointed her out and gave her one."

No comments:

Post a Comment