the study of the kicking components within sports

Friday, November 26, 2010

Two Championship Games; Four Kickers

UFL Championship Game
Saturday Nov 27th, 12:00pm EST

Nick Novak, Florida Tuskers
Novak almost left the Tuskers in mid-season, when the NFL's Chargers wanted to re-sign him in to fill in for the injured Nate Kaeding. However, the UFL exercised it's right to nix the deal. Novak went on to lead the UFL in scoring, hitting 15 of 18 field goals and 24 of 24 extra points. Earlier this week he was named Special Teams Player of the Year.
"This is amazing, but it isn’t an individual award, my holder, my snapper and the offensive line had a lot to do with this. It’s really a great honor and I want to thank the coaches and fans for voting for me."
Steve Hauschka, Las Vegas Locomotives
This past summer, we spoke to Steve Hauschka - who at the time was in camp with the NFL's Falcons. He also kicked for the Detroit Lions at the end of preseason and then was signed by the Locos part way through the regular season. Among the questions we asked was, 'What’s harder: football or neuroscience?'
"Good question. I guess kicking a football comes easier to me than a lot of things. It’s one of those things that you’ve got to keep simple. You can make it as complicated as you want. In neuroscience you’re constantly analyzing things at the smallest levels of detail. When it comes to kicking you can’t really analyze things at that same level of detail or else you’ll go crazy. At some point you’ve got to be an athlete. I guess I have to go with neuroscience is harder."
CFL Grey Cup
Sunday Nov 28th, 6:00pm EST

Damon Duval, Montreal Alouettes

The Alouettes are making their third straight Grey Cup appearance, and seventh in the past decade. That means this nothing new for Duval:
"Although we have young players in the team, we have so many veterans who have experienced the Grey Cup. This is the fifth time in six years that I've participated."
Warren Kean, Saskatchewan Roughriders
On the other side of the field, the experience is  definitely new for Kean - who after several years of not giving up finally landed a starting job in the CFL after starter Luca Congi was lost to injury part way through the season.
"I don't mean to sound cocky or insincere in any way, but you always have to believe otherwise I wouldn't be out there kicking, doing my thing. Being a kicker in the CFL, you've got guys playing until their 40s. I'm 26. I had to believe at some time it would come up and I'd take advantage of the opportunity."

No comments:

Post a Comment