the study of the kicking components within sports

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Mitchell Talk: Kicking 101

What is the most important thing about kicking that you learned in college? We recently posed that question to some of this year's finalists for the Fred Mitchell Outstanding Place-Kicker Award. Following are their responses.

Gregg Berkshire, Ashland University
"The one item that I would say is the most important thing I've learned about kicking since being in college would probably be the amount of repetition of the fundamentals it takes to become a consistent kicker. Since I only started kick my senior year in high school I was unaware of all the fundamentals it takes to be a good and consistent kicker. Although the drills seem boring the more you do them, it is critical in teaching your muscles the memory of the movement you desire."

C.J. Gradoville, Morningside College
"I believe the most important thing I learned in college was every kick is the same kick. Whether it is an extra point or a 50 yard field goal. You still need to execute the same routine and swing you would every time. If it's a game winner or a kick in a blow out, it is still the same kick."

"The single most important thing about kicking that I have learned in college is to kick with a purpose. Every time I kick a field goal in practice, I put myself in some sort of game situation. This helps me have 100% focus on every single kick."

"If I had to narrow it down to one item, I would say that confidence is the most important thing about kicking. Being able to get on the field and know that you are going to make the kick every single time without a doubt is what puts a kicker in great position to be successful. In my case, I have been blessed to have a great special teams unit in which, Charlie Edwards and Carter Jones, our holder/punter and snapper respectively, have been very consistent in carrying out their functions."

"The one most important thing I've learned in college about kicking is how important it is to be mentally tough. You can't let your last kick impact your next one and have to treat each kick individually. Routine, rhythm, consistency, and repetition have been key for me."

"I would say the most important thing I have learned would have to be, stay calm, don't think too much, and keep your focus on your technique."

No comments:

Post a Comment