the study of the kicking components within sports

Monday, December 27, 2010

NFL Week 16: Double Long

Is practice over-rated? Texans kicker Neil Rackers didn't practice all last week while nursing a hamstring injury. Sunday against Denver he made field goals of 34, 54 & 57 yards.
"I didn't kick in practice all week, so my leg felt fresh, and I had good ball contact. You always like when your coach asks if you can make it, and you go out and make it."
Hitting twice from long range didn't secure a win for Houston, nor did it for Oakland. Raiders kicker Sebastian Janikowski hit field goals of 59, 38, 51 & 45 yards in the loss to Indianapolis.
"We fought hard. It seems like we are a playoff team, it's just not working out for us."
You can't control Mother Nature, but you can check with your friends on the opposing team regarding her tendencies in their home stadium. That's what Redskins kicker Graham Gano did prior to the game at Jacksonville, in which he ultimately hit a game winning 31 yard field goal in overtime.
"Sometimes I would be taking my steps on kickoffs and the wind would be at my back and right before I kicked the ball, it would switch to the opposite direction. I talked to Adam [Podlesh] and Josh [Scobee] before the game and that's what they told me, that the wind would be unpredictable. Have to take it kick by kick. Josh is one of my buddies. He could have told me the opposite."

2 comments:

kate said...

Donovan Mcnabb (Washington Redskins) drops back for a pass, but gets blasted by the Dallas Defense and flies back a few yards lol.
ESPN NFL 2K5 – Big Hits #12

Sports Psychology said...

Sebastian Janikowski may be the greatest kicker in football history.

Post a Comment