the study of the kicking components within sports

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

NFL Week Thirteen: 38 + 23 > 60

A week after having missed a very long range (59 yards) opportunity to tie the game, this week Dallas presented kicker David Buehler with a more reasonable opportunity. In overtime, he was called on for a 38 yard field goal attempt. He made it, giving the Cowboys a 38-35 win over the Colts.
"For me it was good to have redemption, from the 48-yarder and from what happened last week. It's a night-and-day difference from what I was feeling last week. You want to make every kick. I'm glad I had two shots to come back and redeem myself and glad I put them through the pipes....
It's a little bit better, especially playing the Colts, playing Peyton Manning, one of the best players in NFL history and beating a team led by him. It's surreal. It's an awesome feeling....
[Last week's miss] was on my mind for a while. You have to let it go when you practice during the week, but that gave me motivation."
Dolphins kicker Dan Carpenter continued his big year - this time with a career long, franchise record, eighth-longest-in-NFL-history 60 yarder.
"Everyone always asks me how far I can kick it and what's your range. I've always told them it's a situational thing. A lot of times, you don't get the opportunity....

I actually thought I missed it. I thought I left it short when it left my foot, but it carried pretty good."
Nonetheless, Miami lost the game to Cleveland. The final score was 13-10, with the final points coming from Browns kicker Phil Dawson as time expired. His 23 yard field goal was his second game winner in consecutive weeks. Afterward he discussed the games' kicking conditions.
"It was pretty intense wind. It seemed to pick up as the day went on. A lot of gusts, a lot of swirling. I've got to give the guys who kick here every week a lot of credit. Everybody thinks 'We're going to Florida, it's going to be a nice, easy day.' It definitely wasn't easy today. One of the tougher days we've had all season."

No comments:

Post a Comment