the study of the kicking components within sports

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Bowling for Kickers 2010, part 2


Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl
Junior kicker Casey Barth hit a 39 yard FG as time eventually officially expired in the fourth quarter to tie the game. He then made a 23 yard FG in double overtime to give North Carolina a 30-27 win over Tennessee.
"It was tough; I thought we were done. The coaches kept telling me, 'Keep kicking. You're going to get your shot'....
It was wild. All I could do was just go out there and swing my leg and not worry about anything. I've got a lot of faith in my offensive line and my holder, and with that I knew I could make it."
Hyundai Sun Bowl
Senior kicker David Ruffer hit FGs of 40, 50 & 19 yards in Notre Dame's 33-17 win over Miami (FL). The three makes extended his streak to 23 in-a-row, however he missed one in the third quarter.
"The streak was neat while I had it, but I was going to miss eventually. One of the guys mentioned, isn't it better that it didn't really matter? It's fine. We won a bowl game, which is two in a row for us. This is a good springboard for next year, too....
It was the short field goal, my cleat got locked in the turf a little bit and it cramped up my left calf. They tried to stretch it out. I felt fine on the sideline, but I'm not going to make excuses. The ball went right and it didn't go in. It doesn't matter whether there's an excuse there or not."
Chick-fil-A Bowl
Sophomore kicker Dustin Hopkins made four FGs (29, 48, 35 & 45 yards) in Florida State's 26-17 win over South Carolina. Opposing head coach Steve Spurrier noted:
"They have a heck of a kicker. They must have gained 250 yards in the kicking game."
Outback Bowl
Senior punter Chas Henry hit FGs of 30, 47 & 20 yards in Florida's 37-24 win over Penn State.
"I was struggling a little bit on punts, so I knew if I wasn't doing a great job on punts I had to at least give back some other way. That's what we practice every day for and we knocked them down today."

No comments:

Post a Comment