the study of the kicking components within sports

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Recruiting Process per the Recruitees, part 2

There are over 14,000 high school football teams in the United States. For the majority of players, that is the end of their gridiron career. For those who continue to the university and college level, there are less than 900 teams. The long and elaborate recruiting process reaches its climax today, National Signing Day. We continue our inside look at this process, by asking kickers and punters from the Class of 2011 the following two questions:
  1. What would you say was the most beneficial advice you received before going through the recruiting process?
  2. Is there one thing you learned during the recruiting process that you wish you had known beforehand?
The other day we looked at the first batch of answers. Today we feature the second of this three part series.

Miller Snyder, K, North Carolina
  1. Wait until you know all the facts. For a while I was mentally committed to playing in the Ivy League but things change. As soon as I got my first scholarship offer I figured that's where I would end up but with each new offer I had a new-found interest in the school. Be patient and wait until you've got all the facts from all the schools before you make your decision. You don't want to wake up one day wishing you decided differently.
  2. I wish I would have realized that the coaches were people too and that talking with them can be easy. Everyone talks about how nerve racking talking with coaches must be, but once you get past who they are you have to realize what they are: humans. They expect to be talking with someone who is not only capable but also confident in their abilities over the telephone, in person, etc. The recruiting process is a business and you should sell yourself as an athlete as well as a human being.
Mike Beamish, P
  1. Probably to not make any immediate decisions. Wait and see how everything plays out. Evaluate all your options and pick a school where you can see yourself attending, if perhaps football was taken away.
  2. I would say that not every college has your desired major. I always presumed that every college had every major. Also, I wish I had known that coaches don’t get upset if you tell them you’re not interested in their team. Many compare themselves to "the perfect girlfriend" because they won’t get upset if you tell them you are not interested in their program. I was always nervous to tell a coach I wasn't interested and I would stress over it, until a coach told me of this analogy.
Ben Pruitt, K
  1. To take my time and make a decision that I feel comfortable with.
  2. How long and frustrating the process can be.
Chad Hedlund, K, TCU
  1. I've received bits and pieces of recruiting information from many sources; however the most beneficial advice I have received is to not panic. Be patient because it’s a long process, especially for kickers/punters.
  2. If there's one thing I wish I had known already going into the recruiting process it would definitely be which camps I should have attended. Some camps I could tell were very beneficial with getting me closer to college coaches, and certainly ended up being worth my time and money.
Justin DuVernois, P, Illinois
  1. I think that the most beneficial advice was committing at the beginning of my senior season. This may not be thought of as great advice but it takes a lot of pressure off you.
  2. I wished that I would have known that sending out season highlight tapes can help in your recruiting.
Ty Long, K, UAB
  1. Coming into the recruiting process I didn't have that much advice, but I did get [advised] to stay humble, and to always send your film and give phone calls to coaches as much as possible.
  2. I wish knew earlier that it’s not about the big school; it’s about where you fit in where it feels right. The most important things are getting your degree, getting playing time on the field, and just having fun… you only have it once, so live it up.
Mauro Bondi, K, Nebraska
  1. I was told that a guy that can kick and punt is wanted more by universities.
  2. I wish I would have started contacting coaches and attending camps way before I actually did.
Alex Howell, P, Boston College
  1. There is a school out there for everyone: D1A, D1AA, D2, D3, and JC. The player has the power, and depending on how you work out and work on contacting coaches is going to dictate what school you go to. You might, or might not, get your dream school, but you can come close. If you want to go somewhere you have to work to be the very best.
  2. Don’t believe everything you hear and keep your options open. Also don't keep your blinders on. I sent out over 150 resumes and videos. Some of those schools I have never heard of or had much interest in. When I went to the BC camp I loved it. It was a place that I had a medium interest in. I had my eyes set on some other schools and the coaches were promising for a scholarship. After I visited BC and got the offer I committed and realized that the word of mouth means a lot. So, keep your eyes open and don't have your eyes set on a certain school because 9 times out of 10 they don't have a scholarship and you might find a better school for you like I did.
James Hairston, K, LSU
  1. You must promote yourself. You cannot wait around and have people do things for you, be it coaches, parents, or friends. You control how much you get your name out. So go to camps and compete, and stay in contact with as many coaches as you can.
  2. Other kickers in your class will get offered at different times, so don't expect an offer to come your way early. Each school has a different agenda, and if you can focus on what you can do for yourself every day, it will make things easier.
Hank Baker, K, Brown
  1. This is not as applicable to me in terms of kicking as it is for soccer, because I really expected to be playing soccer in college, so that was my primary focus. However, just keeping in touch with with all the coaches from schools I was interested in was probably the most valuable advice. To always keep your name in the coaches' minds is really important. Make sure that constant contact is held between you and the coaches of schools you are interested in.
  2. As a kicker, I wish I had known how valuable the kicking camps held by the schools are in the recruiting process. Before I went to the camps, I did not know that most of the schools I visited were trying to recruit a kicker from the camps that they held. I was recruited immediately after a camp I attended. This was interesting to me because although I had contacted the coaches several times before this camp, I was not being recruited to a significant extent. It was really valuable for me to be able to showcase my ability first hand, as the entire coaching staff watched an hour long kicking session at the camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment