the study of the kicking components within sports

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Recruiting Process per the Recruitees, part 3

High school players looking for the right college...

Universities looking for the right players to add to their freshman class...

We continue our inside look at the recruiting process, by asking kickers and punters from the Class of 2011 the following two questions:
  1. What would you say was the most beneficial advice you received before going through the recruiting process?
  2. Is there one thing you learned during the recruiting process that you wish you had known beforehand?
We previously looked at the first batch and second batch of answers. Today we feature the final set of responses. Thanks to all the kicker and punters who shared their thoughts with us.

Samuel Ficken, K, Penn State
  1. The most beneficial thing probably for me was to stay positive about the whole process. Recruiting is a roller coaster with ups and downs, and what you’ve gotta remember to keep working even throughout the low times.
  2. One thing I wished I had learned before this whole process is probably the fact that you need to go to the school’s camp in the summer as a junior or upcoming senior. It really helps the school put you on their radar and get to know you when the talent can be hard to find like in the special teams game.
Riley Harper, K, Utah State
  1. The most beneficial advice I received before the recruiting process began was from Jamie Kohl. He told me that a lot of kickers are going to have the talent to make it to the next level, but not all will have the work ethic. The ones who put the hours in on the field and in the weight room especially are going to be the ones who make it, as opposed to the kids who rely on sheer talent.
  2. One thing I know now that I'm nearly done with the recruiting process is that even with kickers, size and strength are extremely important to colleges during the recruiting process. I wish I would have focused on that earlier, but I still have a personal trainer and I am committed to Utah State, so I am happy with where I've ended up. But if I were to do it all again, I would put on an extra 20-25 pounds before my senior season started.
Blake Kidd, P, Air Force
  1. Probably not to limit myself to only Division 1 schools.
  2. I wish I had known the thoughts of the coaches recruiting so I would know what to talk to them about.
Chase Lansford, K, UNLV
  1. Some good advice I received was as simple as knowing that you’re going to a place where you’re going to be wanted, and also to make your decision on your own and not be persuaded.
  2. The recruiting process was very stressful and difficult, but if there was one thing I would have wanted to know it would have been that the coaches are not always as reliable and trustworthy as you perceive they are.
Tyler Tate, K, Bowling Green
  1. I would say the best advice I got was that, especially being a kicker, you have to get your name out there yourself and kind of do your own advertising. Schools really aren't going to come to you at this position.
  2. One thing I wish I knew better was that coaches lie a lot and are not straight forward like they ought to be. A coach told me I was number one on his list for six months while he offered a few other kids. I wish I was more aware of the messed up game of deception some coaches play with you to keep your interest.
Michael Branthover, K, Virginia Tech
  1. I think the most beneficial advice I received is to never let someone tell you you’re not the best, or you cannot do this or that. I would always strive to be the absolute best, start small and work your way up on the scale. There is going to be competition all over the country and all you need is to catch one coach’s eye out of all the Division I or II schools and earn your way onto the field.
  2. Throughout the recruiting process it has been a tough time seeing my friends who play quarterback, running back and wide receiver, being recruited first and eventually having coaches call my house when the season started. I think the only thing I would have known is where to train, and who to train with. I worked with Jamie Kohl for the first time this summer and was invited to a national combine, and he had put my name up on ESPN and compared me with all the kickers from California to Maryland. If I had worked with him through high school, I think I would be a better kicker. Yet, I am very happy with my decision with Virginia Tech and I am glad to be a Hokie!
Kris Albarado, P, USC
  1. The most beneficial thing that I was told before being recruited was that I had to get my name out there early and send videos and tapes to every school possible.
  2. The one thing I would have liked to know beforehand was that it's not always gonna go the way you want it. I was recruited by LSU, Florida, and Georgia very hard. But it was the school that started recruiting me last that I'm committed to. And a bit of advice for all the new guys is never stop trying if things don't go your way. It will all work out in the end for the best.
Taylor Bertolet, K, Texas A&M
  1. There were a lot of things I took in before starting the recruiting process that helped out tremendously. Probably the most beneficial was knowing all the NCAA rules, especially like when coaches could call you or not. Another important one would be to get your name out there to as much as you can with camps, videos, and emails so you can be recruited.
  2. I had studied the process pretty well and was familiar with it because my brother Matt went threw a similar type process with punting, but one thing I wish I knew was that not all colleges will be interested or respond back to you. It can be discouraging at times to not hear back from schools you would like. Don't let it stop you, keep at it, and show up at their college camp to prove to them you deserve it.
Drew Kaser, P, Texas A&M
  1. The most beneficial advice that I received before entering the recruiting process would have to be to get your name out there, either by going to kicking camps, calling up college coaches, emailing college coaches, or whatever way you can. Being recruited as a punter or kicker is so much harder than any other position because there are so few schools out there looking for one, but there are so many kicker/punters out there. And they are all trying to compete for the same job you are going after.
  2. The one thing that I learned during the recruiting process that I wish I had known before is just how hard it is to get a scholarship. I thought before that a bunch of schools were going to offer punters/kickers. I had a bunch of schools come out to my school, call me up and invite me out to there camp. Out of all of those schools, two offered scholarships. I thought that the process would be short and simple, but it was long and grueling. But in the end, you need to find the place that best fits you.
Matt Green, K, Oklahoma State
  1. The best advice that I received was that recruiting for kickers is a business. When you are being recruited you are usually the last one put on scholarship if you even get that. Most of the time schools try to get you to walk on. I was told to choose the school that told me the truth and didn't lead me on as to what their intentions were.
  2. I wish that I would have known a more efficient way to decide which camps to go to, and which schools were looking to scholarship a kicker. If there was a recruiting service that could tell you which schools were looking for a kicker it would greatly help save time and to increase a chance of a scholarship.

No comments:

Post a Comment