the study of the kicking components within sports

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Ultimate Indoor Kicking

The latest addition to the world of indoor football is the Ultimate Indoor Football League, which kicks off its inaugural season this month. From a summary of the rules, following are those which pertain to ultimate kicking:
  • Goal posts are placed and centered above each end wall. The posts are 10 feet off of the ground and 10 feet wide. The uprights should extend 20 feet from the crossbar.
  • Kickoffs are from the goal line. Kickers may use a one-inch tee.
  • Punting is illegal. On fourth down, a team may go for a first down, touch down, or a field goal.
  • The receiving team may field any kickoff or missed field goal.
  • Any kickoff which goes out of bounds in the air shall be placed at the 20 yard line.
  • One (1) point for a conversion by place kick after a touchdown, two (2) points for a conversion by drop kick and two (2) points for successful run or pass after a touchdown. Teams may not fake a PAT/FG.
  • Three (3) points for a field goal by placement or four (4) points for a field goal by drop kick.
  • One (1) point will be awarded to the kicking team if the kicker, on a kickoff can kick the football through the uprights and over the crossbar. If the kicker misses the ball will be spotted on the 20-yard line.
So who are the ultimate kickers?
Special thanks to the latter two, who answered a few questions for us:

How did you come across the UIFL (or how did they find you)?
  • Chris: "Saginaw was really the only local team, so I attended the open tryout in December and got invited to camp."
  • Wes: "The UIFL open kicking tryout was brought to my attention by a friend who happened to see the news online and I quickly contacted the coaches at the Huntington Hammer to let them know who I was and that I would be coming to Huntington for their tryout."
What kicking adjustments, if any, have you made for the indoor game?
  • Chris: "You have to drive the ball more because of the stadiums and low hanging scoreboards. Other than that, it's still going through your steps, focusing and kicking through the ball towards your target.
  • Wes: "The primary kicking adjustment that I have made has been due to the low ceiling in the Big Sandy Super Store Arena. My ball flight trajectory was very steep and that caused my kicks to hit the ceiling; so I then had to concentrate on driving the ball with a lower trajectory to stay out of the rafters."
Looking back over your entire career, does a particular field goal come to mind as your biggest kick?
  • Chris: "My biggest kick would be against Indianapolis my junior year. I missed a field goal in the playoffs the previous year in overtime. It was our last game of the year and we were in double overtime. I hit from 41 yards out and sent the seniors off with one last victory. It was a very special moment and kick for me."
  • Wes: "There have been many 'big' kicks in my career for one reason or another. The one that stands out the most was my (school record) 49 yard field goal my senior year at Fork Union Military Academy that sealed our victory and sent us to the State Championship."

No comments:

Post a Comment