the study of the kicking components within sports

Monday, April 11, 2011

Draft Preview: Jake Rogers

Among the kickers eligible for this year's NFL draft, or signing as an undrafted free agent thereafter, is Cincinnati's Jake Rogers. He ranks in the top ten in the majority of the various draft rankings.

2010 Senior Season
  • School's all-time scoring leader with 339 points, passing former Lou Groza Award winner Jonathan Ruffin (315 points/1999-2002) for the top spot
  • Also holds the school marks for extra points made (186), extra points attempted (195), points scored by kicking (339)
  • Second in field goals made (62), field goals attempted (75), and has three of the five longest field goals in school history
2009 Junior Season
  • Saw action in all 13 games handling kicking, kickoff, and punting duties
  • Earned a spot on the Lou Groza Award watch list
  • Season-long make of 47 yards in the 2010 Allstate Sugar Bowl
  • Had eight punts of 50 or more yards and placed 15 balls inside the 20-yard line
2008 Sophomore Season
  • Named a Lou Groza Award semifinalist ... 
  • Made his first 11 field goal attempts of the season and 13 straight dating back to the 2007 season, tying the school record set by Jonathan Ruffin in 2002 ... 
  • Holds four of the Top 10 longest field goals in school history ...
  • Connected on a 48-yard game-winning field goal for the final points in UC's 17-15 win at Akron
2007 Freshman Season
  • Managed the placement and kickoff chores throughout the season
  • Tallied 13 touchbacks, including four in the Papajohns.com Bowl
High School
  • Soccer standout who set school records for most PATs, field goals, and longest field goal in his only season playing football ... 
  • Three-time all-league selection in soccer ... set school career records for goals and points scored.

2010: 11 of 14 (78.6%) FGs; 38 of 40 PATs; 71 points
2009: 13 of 19 (68.4%) FGs; 63 of 65 PATs; 102 points
2008: 16 of 23 (69.6%) FGs; 34 of 36 PATs; 82 points
2007: 11 of 19 (57.9%) FGs; 51 of 54 PATs; 84 points

Midway through his college career, Rogers assessed his progress as a kicker:
"My first season, I guess I wasn't as focused when it comes to gametime. I was going out there, and I didn't have full confidence. I was going out there, and if I made it, 'Awesome.' If I missed it, 'Oh well.' But this season, if I missed it, I was a lot more pissed off because I know I should have made every one of them....
How many did I miss this year? Six or seven? Compared to last season, I think it was better. But statistically it wasn't too much better. My confidence was a lot better this year. I'm not disappointed with the season at all. Obviously, I don't like ending with a miss. It was totally my fault. But overall, I'm happy with the season, and I have two more years. Going into my junior year, I want to make every kick."

No comments:

Post a Comment