the study of the kicking components within sports

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Collingwood or Geelong?

The Australian Rules football season comes to its grand conclusion this weekend with the AFL Grand Final, where the Collingwood Magpies will face the Geelong Cats. We checked in with a few Aussies, who have become associated with American football punting, to get their thoughts on the big game.

Chris Bryan (from Keysborough, Victoria, Australia)
punter for Tampa Bay Bucs last September and the NY Jets this preaseason; also a former Magpie
"I think Collingwood will win and go back to back. They are a well balanced side with a great leader in Nick Maxwell. They will know what the week will entail and will take it in stride. Then go out there on the biggest stage and get it done. Hope it's a cracking game & wish everyone the best of luck. Collingwood by 16 points."
Scott Crough (from Bungaree, Victoria, Australia)
has worked out for several NFL teams, including the Browns after Reggie Hodges was injured
"I am a Geelong fan from way back as my cousin Sean Simpson played in the '94 Grand Final with the Cats, so I have been a mad Geelong supporter since i was a kid. Also my favorite player was Ben Graham for his long kicking when he was at the Cats."
Dave Lonie (from Palm Beach Australia)
former punter for University of California
"A very tough question and an answer that's very hard to give. I would have to give the edge to Collingwood because of the confidence they would have got out of last week's win over Hawthorn. I'd say they would carry that momentum into this week."
Sam Irwin Hill (from Bendigo Australia)
punter for City College of San Francisco
"Geelong, they are going to be too strong of a team with the players they have who are in better form and the margins they have been winning by, also to mention cats beat the pies twice threw the regular season, it shows they are the dominant team and will prove it on the weekend, for me Cats by 7 points."
John Smith (from Leafield England)
former NFL and CFL kicker, now with Prokick Australia
"It should be an incredibly close final. Collingwood for me because the Pies have found a way to win when they have not been at their best. Geelong have more experience but after last year's win Collingwood know how much a win will mean to their coach Mick Malthouse who is stepping down after the Grand Final. Go Pies!"
Jy Bond (from Melbourne Australia)
Punted for UFL's Hartford Colonials last year
"The Aussie grand final is a huge day back home in my home town Melbourne! I will be watching live here in the USA ! I will have to go with the Cats as a lot of my good mates back home root for Geelong."
Brad Wing (from Melbourne Australia)
Punter for Louisiana State University
"Have to say Collingwood! They're more local to my hometown than Geelong. I have been slacking in keeping up with the AFL the past season but I have always liked Collingwood. I grew up supporting the North Melbourne Kangaroos. But Collingwood are a great side. A lot of tradition in that program."
Alexander Kinal (from Adelaide Australia)
punter for Wake Forest University
"To be honest I have not had time to watch a lot of the footy this year. It'll be a solid game I think though, but I will go with Collingwood."
Dan Power (from Brisbane Australia)
has worked out for several NFL teams, including the Broncos recently
"I don't really enjoy the Aussie Rules stuff, I am a Rugby League man myself. If pushed for an answer I would say Geelong as it would be fitting that a team named the "Cats" should win a competition played in by a bunch of cats. Now to the real question, Warriors or Sea Eagles? I hope the Warriors because no one likes Manly. Here is a little taste of the game that the real Australian men play... Amazing Young Rugby Talent - Almost Famous 2011 Highlights"

No comments:

Post a Comment