the study of the kicking components within sports

Monday, September 26, 2011

NFL Week Three: Kickers to the Rescue

Detroit had lost their last 13 games played at Minnesota. Yesterday they were well on their way to a 14th, having fallen behind 20-0 by halftime. In the second half however, they battled back and took the lead. Vikings kicker Ryan Longwell tied it up with 49 yard field goal with 1:11 left in regulation, sending the game to overtime. Less than two minutes into the extra period, Lions kicker Jason Hanson won the game with a 32 yarder.
"Twenty (points) down, it doesn't matter how good you are, that's pushing impossible. They're at home and playing good, and they were good on defense. That was amazing....

I thank them every day for inviting me back. Last year, they started showing they were pretty good, and I knew that we were going to have a chance to be good, and I really wanted to play. ... That's a good 3-0, (but) it doesn't win anything yet."
Buffalo had lost their last 15 games against New England. Yesterday they were well on their way to a 16th, having fallen behind 21-0 six minutes into the second quarter. Thereafter however they battled back and even took the lead early in the fourth quarter. A Patriots touchdown tied it with 3:25 left in the game. Bills kicker Rian Lindell would break the tie on the final play of the game, with a 28 yard field goal to win it.
"It's kind of like a horror movie when you don't see the bad guy and finally when he comes out you relax because you can start fighting him. Maybe I shouldn't equate it to a horror film, but it's kind of how it is, that anticipation of driving. But once they get into field-goal range, I kind of get into my routine.

They're all big to me because you're trying to keep a job. Once I get out there and I look at [holder Brian Moorman's] fingers, it's kind of calming.

It's kind of like, 'We're going to get this, take a deep breath and get ready,'" Lindell said. "When I go out on the field, they're all big."

No comments:

Post a Comment