the study of the kicking components within sports

Monday, October 24, 2011

NFL Week Seven: Sun and Fun

Yesterday's NFL games featured two kickers that each continued their success streaks, and another two kickers that each overcame a pair of misses.

Down 15-0 late in the fourth quarter, the Broncos rallied to tie the Dolphins, and then won the game in overtime on a 52 yard field goal by Matt Prater. But it was his other attempts on the day that Prater discussed afterward:
“I felt like I needed to redeem myself after missing the first two field goals [from 49 and 43 yards in the first half]. My team depends on me to make every kick, and I expect to make them, too.... I actually remember the first two more than the last one that I made. I had a good pre-game. The two kicks I miss the whole day just happened to be during the game.”
Although he couldn't watch it due to a great ball of fire, Dallas kicker Dan Bailey hit a career long 51 yarder in the Cowboys 34-7 win over the Rams.
“Honestly, I was kind of more worried about the sun when I went out there. The sun was right in my face so I didn’t pay attention to how far it was. I didn’t get to see it go through because I was looking right into the sun.”
Browns kicker Phil Dawson had two of his field goal attempts blocked by Seattle. He also made field goals of 52 and 53 yards, which were Cleveland's only points in the game. But that was enough, as the Browns won 6-3 over the Seahawks.
"It was the prettiest two-for-four day that we’ll ever have, so it’s nice to help the team win a game, even though it was an ugly game.... We’ll take it. There is no room for description on the scoreboard.”
Mason Crosby made field goals of 39, 45, 24 & 58 yards in Green Bay's 33-27 win over Minnesota. The latter was a new team record for longest field goal, eclipsing the 56 yard mark he had achieved twice before. Like all the Packers' recent placekicks, it went exactly as planned:
“I like when it’s a long field goal and we don’t hesitate and we just call it up and I’m able to go out and go through my normal process. We went out, got set, and I drilled it home. It was fun.... How the operation is, it’s just so awesome right now. I just do my thing, take my steps, line it up and hit it and just trust it. It’s nice to be able to celebrate a 58-yarder as soon as it comes off my foot.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your blog, following you gives me an edge

Post a Comment