the study of the kicking components within sports

Monday, October 17, 2011

NFL Week Six & CFL Week Sixteen: Field Goals Galore

While long distance field goals were all the rage last week, this week was all about quantity. Two NFL games featured a heavy dose of field goals by the winning team. Two CFL games featured numerous three pointers for both the winning and the losing sides.

In Tampa Bay, Connor Barth kicked four field goals (48, 42, 42 & 38 yards) in the Buccaneers 26-20 win over the Saints. He was excited afterward (and also appears to be excited about next week's game which will be played on the other side of the Atlantic in Wembley Stadium).
"What a great win tonight! Thanks to all the fans for packing Raymond James! First in the division baby! Can you say London tomm."
In Montreal, both kickers made four field goals during the Alouettes 27-25 win over the Tiger-Cats. For visiting Hamilton, Justin Medlock was good from 43, 38, 31 & 31 yards. For the victorious home team, Sean Whyte connected from 45, 35, 33 and 42 yards. The ball apparently suffered some damage on the 45 yarder:
"No lie. The 45 yarder, the ball popped. That's why the equipment guys told me to keep it."
In Baltimore,  Billy Cundiff was busy in the Ravens 29-14 win over the Texans. Just over half the points came from his five field goals (43, 48, 25, 33 & 40 yards). It tied the team record for field goals in a game -- something he did once before and that Matt Stover did four times.
"Matt set the bar really high for many years here. My job is to try to raise it and continue the great tradition he established here."
In Saskatchewan, if you blinked you probably missed seeing a field goal. For the Roughriders, Chris Milo's six field goals (37, 49, 21, 45, 30 & 32 yards) were not enough as visiting B.C. won 29-18. For the Lions, Paul McCallum kicked five field goals (51, 23, 10, 31 & 28 yards). It was one more game for the veteran kicker in the continuation of an impressive season and an impressive career. He recently commented on the resulting talk of where he ranks among the leagues all-time kickers:
"I don't think like that. If I think of anything, it's being the best that I can be. I don't say I want to be the best of everybody who's ever played. I mean, I was a soccer player growing up. I didn't pay much attention to football until I was 20 years old. It would be pretty disrespectful for me to think that way, or say anything about the great kickers who came before me. I just want to be the best I can be. It's up to everyone else, if they want to, to give their opinion of me."

No comments:

Post a Comment