the study of the kicking components within sports

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Big Kickers on Campus, 2011 week 12

A summary of notable kicking during the twelfth week of the 2011 college football season:

Junior kicker Coleman Petersen made a 38 yard field goal in overtime to give Utah a 30-27 victory over Washington State.
"Once I cleared off my spot, I don’t ever step in snow. My cleats were clean and my spot was clean, so I don’t have any slips."
Sophomore kicker Tyler Sievertsen made a 36 yard field goal in overtime to give Northern Iowa a 23-20 win over Illinois State.
"It's pretty unreal. That's what you dream about. When I go to bed at night, I dream of that moment. It finally happened, and I'm hoping there's more to come."
Freshman kicker Ty Long hit a 38 yard field goal with 3:04 remaining to give UAB a 34-31 win over Southern Miss.

Sophomore kicker Mathew Sims made a 23 yard field goal with 2:46 remaining to tie the game and a 34 yarder game winner with eights seconds left as Northern Illinois won 41-38 over Ball State.
"That was the first time ever I got a game-winning kick, high school or college."
Junior kicker Matt Weller's fifth field goal of the game, a 23 yarder as time expired, gave Ohio a 29-28 victory over Bowling Green.
"Lining up the kick, I thought that I would have never felt the same if I missed it. The timeout didn’t bother me. I think that actually was an advantage for me because I had time to visualize the kick."
Junior kicker Jake Wieclaw hit 36 yard field goal on the final play to give Miami a 6-3 win over South Florida.
"We kind of go over pressure situations every week in practice, so it's something I'm fairly used to. (The kick was) exactly that. We have our pressure situations usually on Thursday, so, yeah, it's nothing new."
Sophomore kicker Sean Baner hit four field goals (26, 34, 40 & 29 yards) in Delaware's 26-16 win over Villanova.

Senior kicker Blair Walsh hit four field goals (39, 39, 25 & 39 yards) in Georgia's 19-10 win over Kentucky.
"It was awesome to come out and be dependable for your team when they needed you. It’s a big confidence-builder and it was nice to have it on this type of stage.... It’s been rough. It hasn’t been the season I’ve wanted it to be, but it’s all about the team when it comes down to it. Football’s a team sports and we’re the SEC East champs, and I couldn’t be happier."
If we missed someone that should be on the above list, please let us know!

No comments:

Post a Comment