the study of the kicking components within sports

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Big Kickers on Campus, 2011 week 14

A summary of notable kicking during the fourteenth week of the 2011 college football season:

Junior kicker Tyler Bitancurt made a 28 yard field goal on the final play of the game to give South Florida a 30-27 win over West Virginia.
"We never gave up and there were plenty of opportunities for us to quit and we pulled through. Going in for that field goal, I felt really confident and the whole team was backing me up on the sidelines and showing that they believed in me, which definitely helps. I wasn’t sure how far the kick was going to be, I just knew that we had to be ready to put it through. Thankfully, Geno made a great play and got us a little closer and the penalty obviously helped because I’m closer to the uprights. I had a good feeling that I was going to put it down the middle."
Sophomore kicker Mathew Sims, after having earlier missed a PAT, hit a 33 yard field goal as time expired to give Northern Illinois a 23-20 win over Ohio.
"I lost focus. For a split second, I started thinking about something else. I started thinking about the rest of the game, winning by one point, and I just toed it. I lost focus. I let my teammates down. I felt horrible I missed that extra point....
I knew I couldn’t let them down twice in a row. We fought too hard, our seniors came back, I knew I had to make that kick for them. Once I saw it go through the uprights, I was on cloud nine."
Senior kicker Dave Teggart made four field goals (35, 46, 53 and 43 yards) in Connecticut's 27-35 loss to Cincinnati.
"I don't know if I'm ready to leave here. I love this place. I love the team. I love those guys in there, you know, and one reason why is because we were down pretty significantly in that first half and there was no quit in any of those guys and they came back fighting and just came up a little bit short."
Junior kicker Kevin Harper made four field goals (37, 36, 36 & 47 yards) in Pittsburgh's 33-20 win over Syracuse.

If we missed someone that should be on the above list, please let us know!

No comments:

Post a Comment