the study of the kicking components within sports

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

NFL Week 15: Awesome, Great, Fun...

Around the NFL this past weekend...

In Arizona, kicker Jay Feely hit a 33 yard field goal with 5:40 remaining to tie the game. In overtime, he made a 22 yarder to give the Cardinals a 20-17 win over the Browns.
"I thought it was going to be a 54 yarder. But when John threw the great ball and Larry caught it, I was just relieved.... It was a good weekend for the Feely's too. My brother [Nick] hit a 43 yard field goal with 37 seconds left to give his team the state championship down in Florida. So, that was an awesome weekend for us."
In Oakland, the Raiders were trailing the Lions 27-28 as the clock was winding down. On the final play, kicker Sebastian Janikowski attempted a 65 yard field goal - two yards longer than the league record which he co-owns.
"I kicked it very well. I can't hit it any better. The snap and Shane's placement was perfect."
But the kick was no good as defender Ndamukong Suh got part of the ball:
"It hit my thumb. I looked back and saw it twirling....
Obviously, it was a great moment. I'm usually not that excited about things, but it's what you play the game for."
In Kansas City, the Packers perfect record was no longer perfect after an upset 19-14 win by Chiefs. The majority of the scoring came off the foot of kicker Ryan Succop. His field goals of 19, 32, 46 & 20 yards extended his active streak of successful kicks to 21 field goals.
“It’s not as fun when you make them and you don’t win, so when you make them and you get a win, it’s even better.”
Green Bay's chances for a late comeback ended when their onside kick attempt just prior to the two minute warning was unsuccessful. Kicker Mason Crosby commented afterward:
“I kicked the extra point and when I came back down, we made the call to do the onside. I thought we could do it. If we had been able to execute it, it might have been a different story. The ball came out a little hot, and we weren’t able to recover it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment