the study of the kicking components within sports

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

NAIA: Small Schools, Big Kicks – part 3

by guest blogger Terry Stecker, kicker for Kansas Wesleyan University

When I made the first drive down 9th Street in Salina, Kansas to Kansas Wesleyan University, I didn’t know what to expect as far as getting used to my new home for the next four years. I thought it would take a long time to make friends, a long time to get used to my classes, a long time to find things to do in town and on campus, and a long time getting over being away from home. Well, I was wrong. It was the complete opposite; I made friends in no time, as a first time freshman, my role on the football team was important, classes are easy, the town of Salina is filled with things to do, and being away from home was no big deal at all. Kansas Wesleyan University has a great family atmosphere and very established academic programs that I had interest in. Although it’s a smaller university, it has a lot of tradition and events to keep the students involved with the University and the town of Salina. I learned that the town is very involved in the KWU community and comes to show support at all the athletic events and academic events as well. I am proud to be a Coyote at Kansas Wesleyan University.

KWU has given me the opportunity to live my dream at playing at the collegiate football level. Competition in the KCAC (Kansas College Athletic Conference) is valued and held to a great standard for all teams that participate. After getting my first start (vs Sterling College 9/17/11), my confidence went up and my nerves calmed down as I felt I had what it takes to be a successful place kicker in the KCAC and NAIA. After that game, I was blessed to get the news from my head coach about becoming the starter for the rest of the year. I went on to scoring 58 points on our team, second behind our running back, Brett Giesen. I also got the opportunity to kick a career long 51 yards, and was named KCAC and NAIA Special Teams Player of the Week.

For kickers and punters looking to kick at the next level: any school in the NAIA is a great school to be at. The competition is there, the college life style is there, and the learning lessons are there. Do not overlook the any schools in the NAIA. There are many athletic and academic individuals that choose to come to the NAIA level. It is just as competitive, successful, and full of tradition as any division 1 or division 2 school in the country.

Editor's note: for more commentary from NAIA kickers and punters, see part 1 and part 2 of this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment