the study of the kicking components within sports

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Recruiting Process per the Recruitees, part 6

Our look at the recruiting process continues. We asked kickers and punters from the Class of 2012 the following two questions:
  1. What would you say was the most beneficial advice you received before going through the recruiting process?
  2. Is there one thing you learned during the recruiting process that you wish you had known beforehand?
Following is the second of three batches of answers:

Kenny Allen, Michigan
  1. Don't listen to everyone else around you, because you and your family know what's best for you.
  2. Try harder in school. I did alright with a 3.0, but athletes usually don't focus on academics and I wish I had more because that will help others.
Collin Barber, Georgia
  1. Know your GPA, your SAT/ACT, and all your school information, know schools pros and cons.
  2. Know about applying and all that and how it's different for an athlete.
Nick Jordan, Texas
  1. My kicking coach told me to remember to look out for myself. The college coaches don't care about me, just about me playing for them, so I need to remember to make decisions for my own good.
  2. I wish I had fully known when the coaches can contact me and all of the NCAA rules that go along with that.
Roberto Aguayo, Florida State
  1. Go where your most comfortable and where your heart takes you, be sure your gonna wanna be there the next four years of your life academically and sports wise.
  2. What a grey shirt meant and how it worked.
Brad Dunavant, Toledo
  1. Think about Pros and cons of the campus like what it does for you, what it does for your family, do you get along with the football guys while you’re there, does it make you feel like "home"?
Devon Bell, Mississippi State
  1. Don't go where people think you should go. Go where you feel is best for you.
Garrett Owens, Oregon State
  1. Actually going to look at the school before making the decision and getting to know the coaches well. Making sure it’s the right fit for you and the decision you make is yours and not others.
  2. Be more patient with the recruiting process.
Ryan Frain, Illinois
  1. Do everything in my power to get my name in front of coaches. I was told it is a myth that a coach will one day just show up at one of my games, stop me and ask me if I had any plans on college, visits are taken, and I get a scholarship to my dream college! That doesn't happen. I have never heard of someone receiving a scholarship just like that - no matter how good they are. I built every connection I could possibly find, I spent hours on the computer last winter and spring emailing coaches (I would find their emails on the schools website). I would update them when I had a big performance at a competition, send them all highlight tapes and statistics as I came across them or made the films. I built such good relationships with so many coaches that I can humbly say I was heavily recruited, and didn't spend thousands of dollars going to camps or showcases all over the country. Then by the time summer came around, I was peaking, better than I had ever been. I went to the schools that I had been in contact with and blew some coaches away, started my senior season on a great note. Sent my first three game films to coaches, and Illinois came through with a scholarship. Mainly because of a smaller connection I had with a coach named Tim Williams, you just never know what's going to fall through. That is why that was the best advice I had ever received.
  2. Enjoy every second of it. It truly is an exciting process that not a lot of athletes experience. Yes, I was busting my ass to get the looks I got. But looking back, it was awesome to hear back from a school like Texas or get calls from some of my favorite colleges. I wish I had realized how great it was at the time, other than that I had all the knowledge I know now. But I took it so much as a marketing and business (which it is) experience that I didn't realize how much fun it actually is.

No comments:

Post a Comment