the study of the kicking components within sports

Thursday, March 1, 2012

AFL Kickers 2012 - American Conference

It may seem like just yesterday that arena football entered the sports scene, but the AFL is now celebrating its 25th anniversary. What better way to celebrate then to talk kickers! The first half of our kickers overview begins with the American conference. 

As with all our indoor league previews this year, some of the players updated us regarding their preparations for the upcoming season.

Cleveland Gladiators: Aaron Pettrey
"The main aspect I've been working on is the smaller uprights so I have just put in a lot more time working on accuracy and becoming more consistent."
Georgia Force: Carlos Martinez
"One big thing I have been working on this off-season has been my power and strength. For me, its important that I increase my power and strength during the off-season and maintain levels during the season. I feel well prepared heading into this season and looking forward to displaying my talents throughout the season."
Jacksonville Sharks: Marco Capozzoli

Milwaukee Mustangs: Joshua Smith
"I was pretty happy with everything last year accept for 50 yard field goals and longer so I put an emphasis on getting more power this off season."
New Orleans VooDoo: Joshua Shene
"Mostly kicking on smaller goal posts and realizing the quickness of the game. There's little room for error when kicking a PAT or FG so I've been working on using the actual goal post as my target when kicking. In the AFL your team can score so quickly you have to be ready at all times. Which means physical as well as mental alertness is a key component in having a successful kick in this game."
Orlando Predators: Mark Lewis

Philadelphia Soul: Phil Marfuggi
"For the upcoming season what I have been working on is Kickoffs. I made some adjustments in the off-season with my plant foot (closer to the ball) and using more quad when I kick. This season I expect better hang time and the ball to hit higher up on the rebound net."
Pittsburgh Power: Taylor Rowan

Tampa Bay Storm: Juan Bongarra

No comments:

Post a Comment