the study of the kicking components within sports

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Draft Preview: Danny Hrapmann

Among the kickers eligible for this year's NFL draft, or signing as an undrafted free agent thereafter, is Southern Mississippi's Danny Hrapmann. He ranks in the top five in many of the various draft rankings.

Excerpts from Hrapmann's profile page on the Golden Eagles' website:

2011 Senior Season
  • selected All-Conference USA Second Team
  • tied conference and school records by booting five field goals in a tight game against UCF. Named Conference USA Special Teams Player of the Week for the second time this season
2010 Junior Season
  • Named a first-team All-America by the Walter Camp Foundation
  • A first-team All-Conference USA selection at place kicker
  • A Lou Groza Award finalist, and mid-season All-America pick by SI.com
  • A two-time Groza Award "Star of the Week" for the East Carolina and Tulane games as well as the C-USA's Special Teams Player of the Week following the ECU tilt
  • Made career-long 54-yard field goal against UAB and had a made 59-yarder against Houston negated by a late timeout call
  • Also handles kickoff duties and averages 63.1 yards per kickoff over 88 attempts in 2010, including six touchbacks
  • Punted five times for an average of 43.0 yards and a long of 55 and ran for 19 yards on a fake punt deep in the Golden Eagles' own end late against East Carolina
  • Named to spring semester Athletic Director's Honor Roll ... 
2009 Sophomore Season
  • Handled kickoff duties all season and took over place kicking and field goal duties at Houston (10/31)
  • Had 75 kickoffs for 4,521 yards (60.3 kick avg.) and five touchbacks
  • Named to fall semester Athletic Director's Honor Roll
  • New Orleans Bowl: Was 2-for-2 on field goal attempts ... Made kicks from 20 yards and 38 yards
2007 Freshman Season (Southeastern Louisiana)
  • Handled kickoffs and made two PATs
High School
  • Received a two-star rating by Scout.com and ranked No. 22 among kickers nationally ... 
  • a two-time All-District 8-5A selection at New Orleans' Holy Cross High School
  • named to the New Orleans All-Metro and Class 5A All-State teams


2011: 23 of 34 (67.6%) FGs; 61 of 62 PATs; 130 points
2010: 26 of 31 (83.9%) FGs; 55 of 55 PATs; 133 points
2009: 4 of 7 (57.1%) FGs; 14 of 18 PATs; 26 points

Last September, Hrapmann discussed the first several years of his college career:
"As a walk-on, you aren't necessarily given anything less than a scholarship player, but you have to work just a little harder for the coaches to take notice of you. Coach (Larry) Fedora didn't even know who I was when I first started kicking but he said to me once, `You keep kicking like that, I'll remember who you are.'"
The [2009] bowl game, when I hit both of my attempts, was really the first time that I felt confident on the ball. It gave me the confidence I needed to go into the Spring and on to 2010 that I could do this."
(Punter) Peter Boehme was really instrumental in my turnaround as a kicker, and he can be attributed to a lot of my success. He took holding to another level and gave me that trust to say to myself, `The ball is there and ready,' so that I just had to kick it through."
When you look through the record books at Southern Miss, you see guys like Darren McCaleb and Ray Guy at the top of many of the lists for the kickers. It's humbling and exciting at the same time to know you have done something only two other men have ever done, Ray especially.
Not winning the Groza award stung a bit, but (Oklahoma State's) Dan Bailey won the award and he's a great guy. I got to know him really well along with (Notre Dame's) David Ruffer, and all three of us were walk-ons, which I thought was neat. I get to have the recognition of being on the Walter Camp team which, to me, means that I wasn't overlooked and was still seen as one of the best kickers in the nation."

No comments:

Post a Comment