the study of the kicking components within sports

Saturday, March 10, 2012

PIFL Kickers - To Drop Or Not To Drop

The Professional Indoor Football League kicked off their inaugural season last night. As always, we've outlined the kickers heading into the games. Several of them weighed in with their thoughts on the drop-kick rule and associated scoring.

Alabama Hammers, TBA

"I have been looking forward to using the drop kick this upcoming season and being able to outscore traditional style kickers. Once I heard about how the points had been changed from 2 to 1 on a drop kick extra point, and then from 4 to 3 on a field goal, I was disappointed. In my opinion, it is very difficult to execute on a consistent basis for the majority of people or even kickers for that matter. I feel it should be awarded with more points like it is in the AFL. Although the points may have changed, my coach still believes in my ability to drop kick as do I, so look forward to seeing many this upcoming season."
Columbus Lions, Ryan Gates (Gardner-Webb)
"If [they remain worth more points], you could use it to your teams advantage. Me personally I don't like it at all, drop kicks are really easy to do but the percentage you make of those are VERY low, I like to just have the one point and move on."
Knoxville Nighthawks, Alex Walls (Tennessee)

Louisiana Swashbucklers, Blake Bercegeay (McNeese State)

"Coming up through the high school and college ranks, a drop kick never crossed my mind. When I learned how integral the drop-kick was in the indoor game, I gave it a try, but have never been able to quite get the hang of it. This is probably mostly due to the fact that no team or tryout I've been a part of has emphasized using the drop-kick to score. My guess as to the reasoning for that would be that most kickers these days are so unfamiliar with drop-kicking that coaches are more likely to trust a kicker to make a routine field goal, rather than take the time to allow the kicker to develop the skill and install it in an offense. To me, converting a field goal where the ball is being held by a holder seems much easier to convert than kicking a ball that has to bounce off of the turf. As a kicker, the rule is: where there is more variable, there is greater chance for inconsistency. With that being said, if Coach Fuller was to ask me to be ready to convert a drop-kick for an upcoming game, I would certainly do everything in my power to help the team get more points. It’s understandable that the rule is still in effect. People come to a football game to be entertained, and a drop-kick would certainly make for an exciting end to a game."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If the drop kick is really easy to do, then how do you only convert a very low percentage? That's very contradictive and does not make sense.

Post a Comment