the study of the kicking components within sports

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Fifth Kicking Competition Concludes: Justin Medlock over Olindo Mare

Entering the second year of his contract with Carolina, kicker Olindo Mare had to compete to retain his job when the team signed Justin Medlock in the off-season. Earlier this month, Mare discussed the competition:
I'm always concerned with myself and not what's going on around me or who I'm competing with. Because really, you're competing with everybody.  There's a long list of guys that want to kick. The competition is always open. I don’t know what coach isn’t looking for younger, better, bigger, stronger. That’s their job. But there is something to be said [for] having made 300 or 400 field goals. It’s worth something I would hope.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/08/03/3426431/olindo-mare-carolina-panthers.html#storylink=cpy
In the end, the Panthers did decide to go younger. Mare was released yesterday and Medlock got the job. The same thing occurred at punter, with veteran Nick Harris being released and rookie Brad Nortman winning the job. Team general manager Marty Hurney noted:
We were very pleased with all four of those guys. With Brad and Justin, we had two young kickers with extremely strong legs who had very good training camps, and just thought performed very well and had bright futures.... I think he showed his leg strength up there [Canada]. I think Justin’s got a chance to make the long field goals.... We made this decision because we felt very good about Nortman and Medlock both.
Last month, Justin Medlock discussed the twists and turns of his professional kicking career - from a brief NFL stint as a rookie, to Canada, and now back to the NFL:
[Being released by the Chiefs] was a bad thing to happen – my path would have been a whole lot different – but it's actually the best thing that ever happened to me as a kicker. I needed to go through some downs before I went up, because I needed to learn that some of the stuff I was doing wasn't right. For a good three to five months, I was pretty messed up, didn't really know what was going on. I think every kicker has been like that at some point.
The CFL is the best thing that ever happened to me. I don't know if I'd be here without that because it got me back on the map. But it also hurt me in a sense because like there was a time when the 49ers needed a kicker – a lefty. I'm a lefty from the Bay area, but I couldn't sign there because I was in the CFL. That was the wrong place at the wrong time.

It's crazy. In as little as 24 hours, I probably would have been back in the CFL [back in March]. We were negotiating and were probably within five thousand dollars. To think I was that close to going back to the CFL, that will be something to look back to if I make it in the NFL, because I would have been 31 before I got out of that contract. If I make it here, that will be a story.

I've had some unlucky things happen, but I'm ready to change my luck. I haven't kicked a field goal in the NFL since 2007. Some people think, 'Whatever. He's been released a thousand times.' But from 2007 to now, I'm a whole different kicker. I feel like I can kick in this league.

Read more here: http://www.heraldonline.com/2012/08/27/4216805/oft-booed-olindo-mare-gets-the.html#storylink=rss#storylink=cpy

Read more here: http://www.heraldonline.com/2012/08/27/4216805/oft-booed-olindo-mare-gets-the.html#storylink=rss#storylink=cpy

No comments:

Post a Comment