the study of the kicking components within sports

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Big Kickers on Campus, 2012 week 2

A summary of notable kicking during the second week of the 2012 college football season: 

Senior kicker Spencer Benton hit a 61 yard field goal in Clemson's 52-27 win over Ball State. It set a school record, surpassing Obed Ariri and Chris Gardocki's 57 yarders, and an ACC record, surpassing a 60 yarder by Florida State's Gary Cismesia. 
“The crowd let me know it was good. I was just ecstatic from there. It went through, and it was surreal. I always dream of stuff like that. To see it happen, I was humbled by the experience. It was awesome.”
Junior kicker Andrew Furney made a 60 yard field goal in Washington State's 24-20 win over Eastern Washington.
"Gilby (David Gilbertson) got a great hold down. It felt perfect. I knew it was dead-center and had a chance. I said, 'Oh my God, this might actually go in. I heard the crowd and just started running. It was instinct. I didn't know what to do."
Sophomore kicker Edgar Castaneda hit a 30 yard field goal on the final play of the game as Sacramento State upset Colorado 30-28. He also earned a scholarship in the process.
 "I told my team, 'Get me there and I'll do my job."
Senior kicker Lance Schuveiller made a 26 yard field goal as time expired to lift Southwest Minnesota State to a 32-30 victory over Northern State.

Junior kicker Chris Boswell hit four field goals, including a 45 yard winner as time expired, to give Rice a  25-24 victory over Kansas.
"It still hasn't really set in yet. I'm sure it will set in when we are on the plane or something, but right now it doesn't seem like it."
Senior kicker Jack Griffin hit a 29 yard field goal in overtime to lift Florida International 41-38 over Akron.

Junior kicker Andy Wilder hit a game-winning 33-yard field goal with 12 seconds to go as Northern Arizona won 17-14 over UNLV
"I missed one earlier but I put that one behind me. The team needed me and it was my turn to step up. I nailed it right through the pipes."
Junior kicker Matt MacZura's 35 yard field goal with 1:42 remaining gave Georgetown a 13-10 win over Wagner.
"You always have the thought that the game might come down to you in the back of your head. Obviously there kicker had a great kick to tie it up, so I was just glad that I was in a position to get our team the W."
Junior kicker Lukas Stockhausen made a 37 yard field in overtime as Rhodes College won 20-17 over Washington University.

Senior kicker Thomas Warren hit a 37yard field goal with 35 seconds left in the game as Citadel won 23-21 over Georgia Southern.
"There’s nothing really going through your head. You just have to go with what you’ve been doing the whole season. We practice this every day, so it’s just the same thing. Keep your head down, follow through and make the field goal.”
Freshman kicker Marc David made a 37 yard field goal with 14 seconds remaining to give Eastern Oregon a 17-14 win over Montana State-Northern.
“I knew what I had to do. It's something I've done so many times in practice, and I knew I could do it. It feels great, and I'm so glad I could the help the team get this win. It's a great team to be a part of.”
Junior kicker Griffin Thomas made a 37 yard field goal as time expired giving Jacksonville State a 27-24 win over Chattanooga.
“It was a little nerve-wracking. I was kind of happy they called a timeout, though, to give us time.... I’m just glad I got the kick off. It was leaning to the right a little, but then it curved back in the middle. It looked good.”
Sophomore kicker Kyle Brindza made a 27 yard field goal with seven seconds remaining to lead Notre Dame 20-17 over Purdue.


If we missed someone that should be on the above list, please let us know!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Senior kicker Brett Maher, Nebraska, hit a 54 yard field goal against UCLA. Longest FG ever by a Husker away from Memorial Stadium and tied for 5th longest in school history.

Post a Comment