the study of the kicking components within sports

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Big Kickers on Campus, 2012 week 3


A summary of notable kicking during the third week of the 2012 college football season:

Senior kicker Steven Schott hit a 42 yard field goal as time expired to give Ball State a 41-39 victory at Indiana. Earlier in the game he hit a 51 yarder.
“I was just trying to focus and mentally visualize my kick. We had [Scott] Secor ready to kick a 60-yarder if we needed to. We were in pretty good shape.... To be honest, I really don’t remember much. It felt good. I just remember putting my hands up when it went through.”
Senior kicker Max Martin hit a 42 yard field goal with 35 seconds remaining to give Wayne State a 20-17 victory over Bemidji State

Sophomore kicker Sean Murray made an 18 yard field goal in overtime to give St. Francis a 19-16 win over Olivet Nazarene.

Junior kicker Cody Parkey hit a 35 yard field goal in overtime to give Auburn a 31-28 win over Louisiana-Monroe.
"That’s why I’m here on the team, to be able to make kicks like that. Coach Chizik trusted me to take the knee on (first) down and just give me a chance to make that kick. I was kicking great in warm-ups and throughout the game, so I really wasn’t worried at all. I knew I could make the kick, a 35-yarder right down the middle."
Junior kicker Ryan Benke made a 37 yard field goal in overtime to lift Jamestown College 17-14 over South Dakota Mines.

Junior kicker Nick Dace hit three field goals (41, 53 & 55 yards) during North Central College's 37-10 victory over Wisconsin-Stout. The latter two were the two longest in school history.

Senior kicker Matt Weller made a 38 yard field goal with 1:37 remaining to lift Ohio 27-24 over Marshall.
"It feels good. It’s pretty crazy to come in here and get it over Marshall."
Sophomore kicker David Gonzalez's 29 yard field goal late in the third proved to be the difference in Concordia's 13-10 win over Trine.

Junior kicker Jeff Budzien tied a single-game school record with five field goals (42, 20, 29, 41 & 19 yards) during Northwestern's 22-13 win over Boston College.
“What I’m most fortunate for is that we have a snapper Pat Hickey, Holder Brandon Williams and eight guys blocking up front that do a great job and take pride in what they’re doing. It’s an 11-man operation and I’m just one of the eleven. They deserve more credit than me because they put pride in their roles. They might not be the glory roles, but they’re doing a great job.”  
Senior kicker Josh Kay made four field goals, including the game-winner from 39 yards with five seconds left as Linfield College won 33-30 over Cal Lutheran.

Junior kicker Michael Schuster tied the school record of five field goals (29, 44, 50, 46 and 37 yards) in North Alabama's 39-0 victory over Kentucky Christian.
“It really hasn’t sunk in yet that I tied a record. I really worked on my punting this week because I was so bad last week, but I got in the groove tonight. I’m just glad my coaches have the confidence in me to try the long kicks and I’m happy I can help the team win.”
Junior kicker/WR Seth White connected on a 25 yard field goal with 11 seconds left to give Findlay a 29-27 win over Saginaw Valley State.

Junior kicker Chris Boswell tied the school record for longest field goal with a 57 yarder during Rice's 56-37 loss to Louisiana State.

If we missed someone that should be on the above list, please let us know!

No comments:

Post a Comment