the study of the kicking components within sports

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Big Kickers on Campus, 2012 week 9

A summary of notable kicking during the ninth week of the 2012 college football season:
 
Freshman kicker Ka'imi Fairbairn made a 33 yard field goal as time expired to give UCLA a 45-43 win over Arizona State.
"It was just quiet. I was trying to stay within myself. I was trying to just focus on what I had to do in my technique; keep my eyes back and following through, what I do at practice and throughout the whole year."
Senior kicker Robert Hersh's 31 yard field goal with 4:14 remaining gave Texas Southern a 23-20 win over Grambling State

Freshman kicker Reece Attard's 43 yard field goal in overtime lifted Husson 17-14 over SUNY Maritime.


Senior kicker Bryson Rose hit a 31 yard field goal as time expired to give Ole Miss a 30-27 win over Arkansas. He also hit a 53 yarder earlier in the fourth quarter.
"At the start of the year I was trying to have such a great season that I forgot to have fun. I talked to my dad and other people, and they told me to have fun with it."
Sophomore kicker Mike Theismann's 25 yard field goal in overtime gave St. Scholastica a 20-17 victory over Presentation College.

Junior kicker Jamin Godfrey made a school-record five field goals (37, 32, 27, 41 and 22 yards) to lift Tennessee State to a 22-21 win over Tennessee Tech.
"Last game really hit me hard. I practiced really hard to not let that happen again. I’m glad I had the chance to make some kicks."
Senior kicker Dustin Hopkins hit a career long 56 yard field goal during Florida State's 48-7 win over Duke. He now owns the ACC career field goal record
“I looked over and Jimbo [Fisher] was kind of upset. I saw him and [special teams] coach [Eddie] Gran consult each other and then Gran looked at me and said, ‘kick it.’”
Junior kicker Andy Wilder's 18 yard field goal with 15 seconds remaining gave Northern Arizona a 12 -10 win over Northern Colorado.

Sophomore kicker Cody Ausherman's fourth field goal of the game, a 23 yarder in overtime, gave Methodist a 26-23 win over LaGrange.


Sophomore kicker Connor Loftus hit a 45 yard field goal with 2:12 remaining to tie the game and then a 35 yarder with 17 seconds remaining for the victory as Penn won 20-17 over Brown.
"The snap and hold were great. I have a ton of confidence in those guys and it felt like any other kick. I went through my normal routine and that's the only way to do it."
Senior kicker Josh Storm made a 20 yard field goal with one second remaining to give Randolph-Macon College a 27-24 win over Shenandoah.

Junior kicker Colton Cook hit a 36 yard field goal with three seconds left to lift Southern Utah to a 30-27 win over Eastern Washington

"It felt good right off my foot, I knew when I kicked it, it was good. I knew right away."
Freshman kicker Kaleb Patterson made a 31 yard field goal with 1:24 remaining to give Miami (OH) a 23-20 win over Ohio.
“Just kick it down the uprights, just do what I do. They’re saying, ‘We trust you enough to put you on the field and to kick this at the end, and we’re not going to try anything extra.’ I feel honored more than anything.”
Junior kicker John Wells made a 23 yard field goal with 50 seconds remaining to lift Cornell 37-35 over Princeton.

Freshman kicker John Wallace's 30 yard field goal in overtime gave Louisville a 34-31 win over Cincinnati.

"I was calm and cool. I had a lot of confidence."
Senior kicker Mackenzie Crossley kicked a 32 yard field goal with 58 seconds to play to lift Montana Western over Rocky Mountain College 23-20.

Senior kicker John Shaughnessy hit a pair of 42 yard field goals during the fourth quarter to give Northwestern State a 27-26 win over Nicholls State.

"After three years of not catching many breaks, it was nice to catch one tonight. We’ll take it. We turned the ball over four times, but who cares? We won the game, and that’s all that matters. We’re still in the conference hunt. I’m so elated right now."
Junior kicker Griffin Thomas' 38 yard field goal with 8:51 remaining in the fourth quarter proved to be the winning points as Jacksonville State won 38-35 over Murray State.

Junior kicker Travis Coons made a 30 yard field goal with 1:20 left in the game to lift Washington 20-17 over Oregon State


Senior kicker Quinn Sharp made five field goals ( yards), tying a school record, during Oklahoma State's 36-14 win over TCU.
"You want (the offense) to get in that red zone and be successful, but whenever it's my job to go out there, I'm going to do my best to get points on the board and help those guys out."
If we missed someone that should be on the above list, please let us know!

No comments:

Post a Comment