the study of the kicking components within sports

Monday, October 8, 2012

NFL Week Five: Justin Tucker copacetic & Billy Cundiff dissatisfied

Football as it should be. Chiefs kicker Ryan Succop made field goals of 30 and 31 yards. Ravens kicker Justin Tucker hit field goals of 28, 26 and 39 yards. And that was it for the scoring. Baltimore won 9-6.
"It's good to come through when my team needs me. Give credit to our defense and our offense also for just getting the job done in the fourth quarter when it matters the most. It doesn't have to be pretty but the result is what we're all looking for....

We took the clock down a little bit and where it may have looked like we rushed it, we had a plan. The [third] kick was good and we got the win. Everything was copacetic ."
Things were not as satisfactory for Redskins kicker Billy Cundiff. A week after missing 3 of 4 field goals, he missed a 31 yard attempt during the second quarter of the 17-24 loss to Atlanta.
"It’d be much easier to keep it brief. I don’t see any reason to go into extreme detail. It was just a miss. I think it’s a kick I should make. It was a make-able kick. I just didn’t hit it....

[In addition to boos] I heard a lot of other things, too, but I can’t repeat those. That’s just how it goes. It happens."
Following the game, Washington head coach Mike Shanahan was asked the obvious questions regarding whether they'll look to bring in another kicker.
"I’m not sure what we’ll do. I never say anything right after a game. You let 24 hours go by and collect your thoughts and make decisions on what you think gives you the best chance to win."
Postscript: the Redskins are bringing in several kickers for tryouts on Tuesday, including Olindo Mare, Josh Brown and Kai Forbath.

No comments:

Post a Comment