the study of the kicking components within sports

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Big Kickers on Campus, 2012 week 13

A summary of notable kicking during the thirteenth week of the 2012 college football season:

Sophomore kicker Kyle Brindza made five field goals (27, 29, 52, 33 & 19 yards) in Notre Dame's 22-13 win over USC.
"It's just a blessing to help my team out. (My teammates) got me in range all night. On the 52-yarder, I thought I crushed it a little bit on the sand side. It's almost like you're hitting almost solid (sand), kind of like the golf course on a rainy day....

[after the third quarter miss] It's just correcting your mistakes. Taking your mistakes and using them wisely. You have to understand what you did wrong and what you do next. Don't put yourself down, bring yourself up by having the confidence that you know what you did wrong and now you know what you need to do right."
Sophomore kicker Sam Ficken's 37 yard field goal in overtime gave Penn State a 24-21 win over Wisconsin.
"I couldn’t be happier with the way the season ended on a 10-field goal streak. The start of the season going the way it did, it feels really good to bounce back and end the season on a positive note....
I love touchdowns, but when you have that opportunity as a kicker, that’s your dream. That’s really what you want going out onto the field every time."
Junior kicker Sam Brockshus made a 27 yard field goal in the second overtime as Minnesota State won 38-35 over Northwest Missouri State.
"I thought it was good, but then everyone started running at me. It took a few minutes to settle in. It was more relief than anything. I’m very happy."
Junior kicker Andrew Furney hit a 45 yard field with 1:50 remaining to tie the game and cap an 18-point fourth quarter comeback. His 27 yarder in overtime lifted Washington State to a 31-28 upset win over Washington, and gave the Cougars their first conference victory of the year along with the Apple Cup.
"[Before the game My father and I] were talking about the game and how I hadn't had a game-winner yet in my career and it's the Apple Cup. 'Why not today?'....
With everything how it unfolded, how it came together, it was meant to be.... It was actually one of those things where I knew it was good the minute I hit it. That's one of those lifetime moments for a kicker to experience. I'll cherish it."
Junior kicker Chad Christen's 30 yard field goal in the third overtime gave Connecticut a 23-20 win over Louisville.
"I came out of [the Temple] game with a different mindset. I'm glad the guys put me in this situation and that I responded well. I was confident. After I made the one to force the [second] overtime, I felt like I couldn't miss."
Junior kicker Cody Journell hit a 29 yard field goal with four seconds remaining to give Virginia Tech a 17-14 win over Virginia.
"It’s great. I feel blessed being able to come back and play with all my brothers on this team again. The coaches have my back. The way this season has gone, I couldn’t ask for it to go any better. And me being in position to put us in a bowl game again feels great."
Senior kicker Dan Conroy made four field goals (48, 43, 43 & 30 yards) in Michigan State's 26-10 win over Minnesota
 
Junior kicker Drew Basil made four field goals (41, 52, 28 & 25 yards) in Ohio State's 26-21 win over Michigan.
"The field-goal unit, I can’t say it enough: They blocked their butts off today. Whenever you have the best snapper (George Makridis) and best holder (Kenny Guiton) in the country putting it right there every time, it makes it easier. I didn’t feel any pressure."
Senior kicker Matt Hogan made four field goals (32, 25, 34 & 23 yards) in Houston's 40-17 win over Tulane. For the Green Wave, junior kicker Cairo Santos hit a 32 yarder to finish the year a perfect 21 of 21 on field goals.
"I’m just happy that we got to this point and I became part of history. I never thought that I could do that."
Senior kicker Dustin Hopkins hit a 50 and a 53 yard field goal in Florida's 37-26 win over Florida State

If we missed someone that should be on the above list, please let us know!

No comments:

Post a Comment