the study of the kicking components within sports

Monday, November 19, 2012

NFL Week 11: Adam Vinatieri, Justin Medlock, Mason Crosby & Justin Tucker

During his return visit to New England, Colts kicker Adam Vinatieri made a 47 yard field goal and missed a 58 yard attempt at the end of the first half in the 24-59 loss. Afterward, Vinatieri discussed the requisite booing from the Patriots fans each time he was on the field.
"The same ones that were booing at the end were going ‘Ahhh, you know, we still love you man’. It’s all good, it’s gamesmanship or whatever you want to call it. I respect that. ... I understand the deal. That’s home field advantage that’s what you’re supposed to do, get loud, get rowdy and try to make it hard on the other team. You put your blinders on and just keep going forward."
Panthers kicker Justin Medlock is in a bit of a slump, having missed his last three field goal attempts. Yesterday he missed a 40 yarder late in the second quarter of Carolina's 21-27 loss to Tampa Bay.
"I just pulled it a little bit. I hit it pretty good and looked up and it was way off line. It went dead straight. It’s disappointing.
It’s really about getting into a groove. It’s not happening right now and it needs to happen. I’ve been hitting the ball great. It’s just one of those things. ... It was the only ball I missed all day. Even in warm-ups, I didn’t miss one. It’s got to get turned around fast."
In a slump that is receiving far more media scrutiny, Packers kicker Mason Crosby missed a pair in yesterday's 24-20 win by Green Bay over Detroit. At the end of the first half he missed from 50 yards, both before and after the icing timeout, and then from 38 yards in the third quarter.
"I feel good when I’m out there. My mindset is solid. It's just the line. I’m not hitting it where I need to. That’s ultimately something I have to fix. For me, fortunately, it’s more mechanical. I just have to work through this one....
I hit the ball [on the initial 50 yarder] because they called a timeout right as the snap was going. I hit a ball and hit it real smooth. The second one,. I felt I had a good line but it just turned left a little. It’s something I’ll have to look at and evaluate....
It was just kind of with this team, knowing how we are, we’re going to have another opportunity. [After the 38 yarder Coach McCarthy] just encouraged me in that sense. Everything I’ve been kind of telling myself. We’re on the same page. Obviously, I have to make those field goals. That’s No. 1."
In the evening game, Ravens kicker Justin Tucker made 2 of 3 field goals in Baltimore's 13-10 win over Pittsburgh at Heinz Field. The 41 yard miss came in the second quarter with the game still scoreless.
"I haven't looked at the film yet and won't overanalyze anything until the next day. We had another opportunity, so you just kind of forget about it when you're on the field and think about it later on. So, I couldn't even tell you what I really did....
That felt pretty dang good to make the next kick. I've always said the most important kick is the one after a miss, and that's how you're judged in this league is how you respond after a situation presents itself....
As with any grass field toward the end of the game it will get chewed up a little bit. It is what it is. We kind of expected that."

No comments:

Post a Comment