the study of the kicking components within sports

Monday, November 5, 2012

NFL Week Nine: Graham, Nugent, Crosby & Walsh Answer the Questions

As is oft the case, media questions typically focus on the minority of kicking plays that don't work out so well. Yesterday was no exception following several NFL games.

During Houston's 21-9 win over Buffalo, Texans kicker Shayne Graham had a 46 yard field goal attempt blocked.
"It felt like a great hit, so I don’t know what happened, where the guy (DT Alex Carrington) came from, any of that."
One of the big plays in Denver;s 31-23 win over Cincinnati was a 105 yard kickoff return TD by Trindon Holliday. Bengals kicker Mike Nugent said of his down-the-middle kickoff:
"I thought it was a great hit into the wind, but terrible placement. I don't know if it even made the left hash."
In Green Bay's 31-17 win over Arizona, Packers kicker Mason Crosby missed one of his two field goal attempts.
Missed a 44-yarder, got to make it, and we won the game. That’s how simple that is.... Obviously, yeah [i'm frustrated]. I’ve got to make the kick. I warmed up as well as I had, I felt like I was hitting the ball well, it came off good and it just didn’t go through....
Obviously I’m tired of talking about missed kicks. Make the field goals, move forward and win the game. That’s ultimately the thing. I was able to hit a kick later in the game but just want to make the kick. I don’t want ot have to come and talk about missed kicks, especially when we win the game. That’s the most important thing is winning. I did hit another field goal to help this team win, but I’ve got to make ‘em both....
I’m going to take a break. Get away from it for a sec and just get ready to go after this bye week. I’m not going to kick a ball. I’m just going to mentally just take a breather and come back strong after the bye."
The other popular line of inquiry regards kicking plays that didn't even happen. In the waning seconds of the first half during Minnesota's 20-30 loss to Seattle, the Vikings opted not to attempt a 67 yard field goal, although Blair Walsh lobbied hard:
"But I don't think [coach Leslie Frazier] was too keen on that because there was a little too much time on the clock [nine seconds]. If I had missed it, they would have gotten the ball at our 44."

No comments:

Post a Comment