the study of the kicking components within sports

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Advice to Aspiring Punters, part 2.1

Our college Q&A tour continues with more FCS schools. Punters from this year's senior class weighed in on the following question:
If you could give one piece of advice to aspiring high school punters, what would it be?
Here are the first half of the responses...

Sam Martin, Appalachian State
"My best piece of advice would be ALWAYS stay positive and be confident in what you do. When I first started punting, like any kicker/punter, I would have bad days, weeks, or even a month of a slump. It is real easy to get down on yourself and have a negative attitude towards kicking, and the sport in general. I have learned, the best way to overcome a bad day/or slump in general, is to stay positive. Keep working hard, analyze and fine tune your technique and always remain confident. Stay positive and always believe in yourself and your capabilities."

Aaron Godwin, Arkansas - Pine Bluff
"Don't be afraid to pick up the phone and call coaches. You are your best marketing tool, and by contacting coaches, it gets your name on a recruiting board faster than anything. When you meet people who play college or pro ball, make connections with them, too. Remember, every time you meet somebody, you may be auditioning for a job...a kicking or punting job. Keep a good head on your shoulders and work hard, and great things are in the realm of possibility."

Jason Myers, Marist College
"Work on directional punting. Being able to put the ball all over the field, where you want is the best punt coverage you can have."

Nic Russo, Northwestern State
"A punter's best punts come when he swings at 80%. When you try and go 100% power you end up shanking or miss hitting it. Just nice easy strokes are the key."

Kevin Buford, Central Arkansas
"To all high school punters just remember, it's about being consistent. It's not about how good your good punts are, it's about how good your bad punts are. It's always a good thing to remember while practicing."

Carlos Sanchez, Mississippi Valley State
"Its hard to pick one but I would have to say to take pride in what you do. In other words be proud of being a punter and go out every day with the goal of getting better. Sometimes people don't realize how important a good punter is for a team, but people that know about field position realize that a good punter is a defense's best friend."

Cole Zwiefelhofer, South Dakota
"Find your groove. Every punter knows how good it feels to have a great session where you're just 'groovin'. One thing it took me a long time to realize is that not every good punter's groove looks the same. I spent so much time trying to do things like I see on Sundays, whether it's the approach, pre-snap, or steps. Everyone's body is different and capable of different things. Find that drop where you hit your best ball every time and train your muscles to do the same thing every time. Obviously, easier said than done but the guys that work the hardest and put the most time in are the guys that are able to truly hit their personal maximum potential, and that's all anybody can ask for. Good Luck!!"

Ryan Gutowski, Bucknell
"My one piece of advice is to go out and punt as much as you can and stay positive no matter how well you do. I was fortunate enough to have my dad throw balls to me as if it were a snap and my twin brother would stand back as a returner, so it made practicing as realistic as possible, but the biggest issue I had was staying positive. There were some days I would go out and I couldn't seemed to get any balls to spiral and turn over. I would get frustrated pretty quickly and would always want to stop punting, but my dad and brother always were there by my side to encourage me to continue practicing. There were also some days I would go out and turn a majority of balls over and that's a great feeling, so always just keep your good days in the back of your mind when you are practicing. I was always taught that 'practice makes perfect', so I tried to get out and there punt as much as I possibly could. If punting is a passion of yours and you want to do it at the collegiate level there is nobody that can stop you but yourself. Hard work pays off."

No comments:

Post a Comment