the study of the kicking components within sports

Monday, December 10, 2012

NFL Week 14: Ohio - Josh Brown & Phil Dawson

For one kicker in Ohio yesterday, it was his first game with the team and an opportunity to resume his kicking career. For the other kicker in Ohio, it was his bazillionith (more or less) game with the team and an opportunity to keep doing what he's been doing over and over and over.

When Cincinnati's starting kicker Mike Nugent was injured in practice last week, Josh Brown won a tryout of veteran kickers. Although the Bengals ended up losing to the Cowboys 20-19 on the final play, Brown had a very productive return to the NFL - hitting field goals of 25, 33, 25 & 52 yards.
“The first one, you try to act like it’s as normal as possible, but it’s hard,” Brown said. “This is the first time this has ever been the situation for me. These guys really made me feel comfortable this week and we worked hard and got in groove real quick with these guys. It’s been a pretty easy transition....
Mike Nugent could be completely healed by tomorrow or the next day and I’d be gone. That’s OK. I’m OK with that. My job here is to help this team win and take this opportunity no matter how long or how short it is and make it a really big impacting thing for me so other teams know that I’m not done. Other teams have got to see that I’m still capable of playing at a very high level and last year was just a fluke. I had an off year and now we’re moving forward.”
Back in 1999, Phil Dawson entered the NFL, joining the Cleveland Browns who were re-entering the NFL as an expansion team. He's been with them ever since. Yesterday he kicked field goal of 23, 24 &34 yards in the 30-7 win over Kansas City. That raised his career total to 302 successful field goals, making him the 25th player to surpass the 300 field goal mark.
"If you'd seen me kicking in pregame you could probably pick it up [that I was a little nervous]. Fortunately, I kind of settled down a little bit. Having that first field goal be a short one I think helped me get a little comfortable, and as the game went situations kept coming and you really start to feel part of the game....

I worked a long time to have a chance to get there," he said. "To be right on the doorstep sometimes is worse than being 50 away....
I'm grateful for all the teammates I've had that have helped me get to that. Kansas City was coming hard on the field-goal rush. After every field goal I'm picking up three or four guys who are flat on their backs. Those guys never get credit for made field goals."

No comments:

Post a Comment