the study of all things kicker related

Monday, December 24, 2012

NFL Week 16: Rookies Roll - Kai Forbath, Justin Tucker & Blair Walsh

Washington kicker Kai Forbath made two more field goals, 45 and 42 yards, during the Redskins 27-20 win over the Eagles. That extends his perfect start to 17 straight field goals and surpasses Garrett Hartley for the best start to an NFL kicking career.
“It’s awesome. I couldn’t have asked for a better start and being with guys like [long-snapper] Nick Sundberg and [punter/holder] Sav Rocca, and having all the trust in them that they’ll get the ball down just makes my job a lot easier. I’ve been happy we’ve converted on all our attempts so far, and [I’m] going to take it one week at a time like we’ve been doing....

Well, today, me and Sav both kind of watched them for a little bit longer because of the wind that was holding it up a little bit. I got nervous on the first one. I thought it might come up short. We did it like normal today. Wed didn’t react differently. Kind of in the back of our minds, we knew what was going on, but we didn’t make that an issue, and didn’t try to do anything different.”
Baltimore kicker Justin Tucker made four field goals (23, 21, 30 & 29 yards) during the Ravens 33-14 win over the Giants. He is now 25 of 27 (92.6%) on field goals for the year.

A week after tying the NFL record for most 50+ yard field goals in a season, Minnesota kicker Blair Walsh took sole possession of the record. His 56 yarder during the Vikings 23-6 win over the Texans was his ninth of the year.
"I honestly haven't thought much about it. Once the game (got) going, I lapsed on what my season long or career long was. I knew it was in the 50s, but I was just trying to make them. We got a touchdown lead with that last field goal. These kicks today weren't meaningless field goals.... We're not out here to break individual records or have individual stats. We want to win games, and if the records happen, that's awesome." 
He even mentioned the Z-word, that special place all athletes want to be:
"This is the most locked into a zone I've ever been. You always have to stay focused as a kicker. But right now, I think we're firing on all cylinders on our snaps and holds."

No comments:

Post a Comment