the study of all things kicker related

Monday, December 31, 2012

NFL Week 17: Assorted Misses - Kai Forbath, Olindo Mare & Phil Dawson

Washington kicker Kai Forbath's inaugural streak of successful field goals ended at 17 last night when his 18th attempt, a 37 yarder in the first quarter, hit the upright and was no good. It ultimately did not impact the outcome of the game as the Redskins won 28-18 over the Cowboys, winning the NFC East. They'll host the Seahawks in a Wildcard match-up next week.
“I haven’t seen the film yet. I think I just picked my head up a little too soon. I wanted to see it go in, which is just a stupid mental error. I’m just a little frustrated that the miss came on such an, I don’t want to say easy one because obviously it’s not. That proves it....

I look at it now, we got the miss out of the way, I’d rather have it now than next week. I’m coming back just as confident as I was coming into this game.”
Chicago briefly kept their playoff hopes alive with a 26-24 win over Detroit. Recently signed kicker Olindo Mare contributed with four field goals (33, 40, 28 and 20 yards). His lone miss was wide right from 43 yards in the second quarter.
“It was just a bad kick. It was disappointing, and you can’t blame not kicking all year on it because I made those kicks in pregame and all week. It was just a bad swing.”
Cleveland kicker Phil Dawson potentially concluded his career as a Brown in a 24-10 loss at Pittsburgh. Aside from one blocked kick earlier in the year, he missed his only other field goal attempt of the year in the second quarter yesterday - wide right from 39 yards. Later in the same quarter he made a 51 yarder.
“I actually think I hit the miss better than the next one. [Heinz Field] isn’t an easy place to kick. I should know better after all these years not to aim outside the uprights, but I thought that was the best course and the ball just stayed out there. Everything was going to their bench all day and that one just stayed straight.”

No comments:

Post a Comment