the study of the kicking components within sports

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Divisive Sunday of Kicking is Here


NFL Divisional playoffs...


Two games...


Four kickers...


Seattle Seahawks at Atlanta Falcons
Seahawks new kicker Ryan Longwell
"I told all my teammates in Minnesota when we played here in the preseason last year that the highlight of my day was having Chip Hanauer raising the 12th Man flag. I grew up here watching the hydroplanes, watching the Seahawks, the Mariners and the Sonics back then.... It's kind of an honor to put on the helmet that you grew up watching....
I just kind of had a feeling even though I hadn't played this year that something was going to happen. I didn't know where, but for it to happen in this way and in this place is pretty special."
Falcons kicker Matt Bryant
"Enjoy watching us in January."
Houston Texans at New England Patriots
Texans kicker Shayne Graham
"I am getting a lot of field-goal attempts, and any time you can change the scoreboard you feel good about it. I know, everybody wants touchdowns, but the offense has been putting me in a position to score, so that's a good thing. It's not like I'm doing anything out of the ordinary....
I'm zero-for-zero again. That's the way it is for kickers. The past is the past, and even the future doesn't matter. It's just the present, the process you go every time you kick. When [kickers] get opportunities, we need to make the best of them, whether it's the regular season or the playoffs....

It doesn't matter who's on the other side of the ball. What matters are the goal posts.... We're in the same situation here, and I think guys remember what happened [between the Patriots and the Jets] without me making a big deal out of it. That's why we play. This is a different game. It doesn't matter what happened up there the last time."
Patriots kicker Stephen Gostkowski
"There’s pressure on every game, so [the playoffs are] another game, with just a lot more consequences. I think it helps you intensify your focus a little bit, so you try to use that to your advantage. You never want to worry about consequences, just doing your job, and control what you can control. That’s just how I approach things....
Nobody puts more pressure on themselves than I do myself, so anything that anyone says or does doesn’t affect me as much as my own standards and goals. Just like every other player on this team, I want to win. You want to do well, you work hard to make sure that you can come through for the team whenever you get a chance to play....

No season’s the same, anything can happen. I just show up and play. These opportunities don’t come all the time, and we’ve been spoiled if you’ve played here for a while. You just want to take advantage of the situation, because you never know when it’s going to be your last playoff game, so you want to do well."

No comments:

Post a Comment