the study of the kicking components within sports

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

NFL Week 17: Assorted Kicking Tidbits & Milestones

Saints punter Thomas Morstead set the New Orleans franchise season record with a 50.1 yard punt average, only the sixth time in NFL history a punter has averaged over 50 yards. Sammy Baugh holds the record of 51.4 yards set in 1940.

With his 54 yarder against Green Bay, Vikings kicker Blair Walsh extended his NFL record for most 50+ yard field goals in a season to ten.

Titans punter Brett Kern set the franchise season records in gross punting average (47.6) and net punting average (40.4).

Lions kicker Jason Hanson set the Detroit season scoring record with 134 points this season, surpassing the previous record of 132 points set by himself in 1995.

Jaguars punter Bryan Anger set NFL rookie records for gross punting average (47.8) and net average (40.8) this season.


Bengals kicker Josh Brown scored 11 points against the Ravens, raising his career scoring total to 1003 points.
"I did not know that. Cool. That means I'm about 1,600 away from the all-time leader. That's a guesstimate right there. I think it's Morten Andersen. I'm 33. He retired at 48. I've got a ways to go. It's great to be able to do it and do it here and help this team going.... A lot of things have contributed. The consistency I'm building, the opportunities I'm getting, the coaching from Darrin (Simmons) has been really beneficial to me and I wouldn't give a lot of special teams coaches that credit, quite honestly. I've got a great holder, a great snapper."
Brown is currently 50th on the all-time scoring list, trailing 49th place Jeff Jaeger by five points. Morten Andersen is indeed atop the list, with 2544 points.

No comments:

Post a Comment