the study of the kicking components within sports

Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Recruiting Process per the Recruitees, 2013.2

Our annual look at the recruiting process continues. We asked kickers and punters from the Class of 2013 the following two questions:
  1. What would you say was the most beneficial advice you received before going through the recruiting process?
  2. Is there one thing you learned during the recruiting process that you wish you had known beforehand?
Michael Geiger, Michigan State
  1. Be proactive, because that drove me to get my name out there as soon as possible.
  2. I wish I would have known how incredibly stressful the recruiting process can get at times!
Andrew Antognoli, Notre Dame
  1. Leave all doors open and stay consistent on contacting college coaches with all of your information, stats, etc.
  2. Get to as many camps as possible, they give you exposure, and exposure is key.
Ty Cummings, Houston
  1. Grades are very important for kickers looking for scholarships. 
  2. How important college camps are for establishing yourself with the coaches.
 Johnny Townsend, Ohio State
  1. Don't worry about rankings and just perform to your best abilities when it counts the most.
  2. I should've developed a relationship with the coaches before I went to camps so you are more comfortable around them and they know you. If you win the day that doesn't matter as much though. That's what I was told from my coach and that was most beneficial to me!
Tyler Czajkowski
  1. Go everywhere no matter if they're interested or not because you only go through it once. 
  2. I wish I been more vocal to coaches and stepped up more to talk to them myself. It would have greatly benefited me as an athlete.
Austin Rehkow, Idaho
  1. Like your coach. You'll be working for him for four years so it's best to be with someone you like as opposed to someone who blames his players for mistakes and criticizes his players publicly.
  2. I learned to really get your name out there and contact the coaches first so that they can see you're interested in their program.
Jim Cooper, Temple
  1. At the end of the day, the college football world is all a business. 
  2. Just because a coach says something when recruiting you, it doesn't necessarily mean he truly feels that way.
Tommy Openshaw, Vanderbilt
  1. Get your name out there. Send as many emails as possible and continue to make highlights. Rankings camps like Kohl's are okay, but they won't get you a scholarship. Get ranked but don't spend too much time or money on them.
  2. Summer college camps are vital. Make sure to pick colleges that are actually offering a kicker from your class. If you perform well at camp, that's what gets the scholarship and interest, not just being ranked high on a website. Also, for rising seniors, start working on kicking off the ground as soon as your junior season is over. Make sure to get a lot of height on your field goals. Having good grades and test scores and being a combo kicker/punter makes you that much more valuable.
Joseph Occhipinti, Western Kentucky
  1. The first thing I did was go to my guidance counselor at my school and talked with her about what I need to do to be sure I will be eligible to play college football. She told me to sign up on NCAA Clearing House. I did not know I had to do that before she told me so I am glad I asked. Also some advice I received was to be realistic when it comes to possible colleges you want to play for. Don't overlook the smaller D1 schools. Also be sure to look at the teams roster and see how many kickers/punters they have and what grade they are in. If they have both a kicker and punter redshirted as a freshman they are most likely not going to offer a scholarship or show interest for those positions.
  2. I wish I knew that I needed to be patient. I got really nervous after the summer college camps I hadn't gotten an offer yet. Kickers and punters come last on the recruiting timeline. So to keep teams interested in me I would create game highlights after every game and send it off to colleges. After the week four game I received a full ride offer to Western Kentucky University to kick. The Monday following after learning all I could about the school and it's academics I committed to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment