the study of the kicking components within sports

Friday, January 4, 2013

Wild Weekend of Kicking Looms


One wild card weekend...

Four games...

Eight kickers...

Cincinnati Bengals at Houston Texans
Bengals kicker Josh Brown
"The postseason is about staying healthy and finding ways to win. Get your body ready to go, because once sixth gear kicks in, you better be ready. It’s a battle. It’s one and done. You’ve got to win four in a row to make it to victory lane. That’s the goal....

I’ve gained something by the opportunity of being here, but I haven’t got where I want to be yet,” Brown said. “I don’t have a contract. I don’t have a full-season run. And that’s what I want next year. So I’ve still got personal goals to achieve, and I’ve got to help the team out by achieving those goals."
Texans kicker Shayne Graham returns to the city where he played the majority of his NFL career. As a Bengal from 2003 to 2009, Graham made 177 of 204 (86.8%) field goals and 248 of 251 extra points.

Minnesota Vikings at Green Bay Packers
Vikings kicker Blair Walsh
"I want to go in there and have a good showing. I remember leaving that stadium dejected from the fact that we lost [23-14 on December 2nd], and the fact that I missed my only attempt. So I’m definitely motivated to go back in there and have a successful game this time.... 

You’ve just got to prepare to know that you’re going to be cold and you’re going to be uncomfortable, and then put it out of your mind once the game starts. You can’t be sitting there thinking about how cold it is and how miserable your body feels. You’ve got to make sure you’re staying warm, staying loose and ready to go at any point."
Packers kicker Mason Crosby
"I have plenty of motivation. This is what I do for a living. This is what I love to do. I look at my teammates every day. I didn’t have to look at another kicker to say I want to make kicks, I want to get my job done. I look at the guys in this locker room and the group of guys that I get to come to work with very day, and that was enough motivation for me....

[37-34 loss to Vikings last week] hurt us. We wanted to win last week. We put a lot into it, a lot of heart into that game. For us, it’s a quick move on. We get another crack at it here, at home, at Lambeau, and you can feel it from the guys here that we’re ready to make a run."
Indianapolis Colts at Baltimore Ravens
Colts kicker Adam Vinatieri
"I remember then [during 15-6 playoff win over Ravens in 2006], just as now, they have a really good defense and we had a tough time getting it into the end zone that game. Fortunately, we made more field goals and had more attempts than they did. It turned out pretty good that day....

In playoff games, you always have a lot of good teams playing. Games become a little tighter. Each individual play maybe means a little bit more and so every opportunity that you get, you have to make the best of it...

I think a lot of people outside of this building were surprised at where we’re at right now. I don’t think anybody in this room had any anticipations other than where we’re at right now. There’s been some ups and downs and some crazy things that have happened this year. Chuck [Pagano] battling through the cancer thing and [Bruce Arians] stepping in. It’s been an interesting year but it’s been ever rewarding for us all. I think the book is not done being written yet."
Ravens kicker Justin Tucker
"The words [Ray Lewis] shared with us today were all about loyalty, winning this, starting with game one, starting inside-out from this locker room. Anything he has to say, you're going to listen to and take to heart. I think that's what everybody did today."
Seattle Seahawks at Washington Redskins
Seahawks kicker Steven Hauschka
"I knew I was good enough to do it. I just needed some time to develop. I had all the skills but it’s hard going out there as a rookie or a second-year guy. Baltimore didn’t really give me the time to develop that I thought they should have. It was a playoff team, so they weren’t thinking that they’d want me to deal with that. But I’m glad that I had that experience because now it’s all that much better being here with the Seahawks and being comfortable and having good success here....

If it was up to me, I’d love to stay here. I’ve got a great snapper in Clint Gresham and holder with Jon Ryan. Being able to work with them every single day is a real treat and Coach [Brian] Schneider, our special teams coach, has also been a huge help to me. I like Seattle a lot. I like the organization and all the players on the team. It’s a great group of guys so I’d love to stay here."
Redskins kicker Kai Forbath
"I wasn’t awake [after late flight and arriving earlier in the morning for job tryout back in October] . But when you get out there and that’s about to happen, that wakes you up.... I’m probably the underdog here. I got nothing to lose. I might as well go out and not let nerves or anything get in the way. I’m just going to kick it....

You can’t take any kick too easy. You got to stay focused. Because guys are out there making the majority of their kicks. There’s guys that are waiting for that opportunity when you mess up. I know. Because I was one of them waiting."

No comments:

Post a Comment