the study of the kicking components within sports

Monday, March 25, 2013

Draft Preview: Anthony Cantele

Among the kickers eligible for this year's NFL draft, or signing as an undrafted free agent thereafter, is Kansas State's Anthony Cantele. He ranks in the top ten in the majority of the various draft rankings.

Excerpts from Cantele's profile page on the Wildcats' website:

2012 Senior Season
  • Kansas State Pro Day: did not miss any of his field goal attempts, including a 58-yarder
  • Second Team All-Big 12 Conference
2011 Junior Season
  • Honorable Mention All-Big 12 accolades from the Associated Press... 
  • Hit a 31-yard game-winning field goal against No. 15 Baylor, which propelled him to Big 12 Special Teams Player of the Week honors
  • Also earned the award after making a pair of game-tying field goals against Texas A&M and hitting field goals from 19, 37 and 47 against Iowa State
  • Connected on a 54-yarder against Oklahoma, the eighth-longest in school history and tied for the longest in the Big 12 during 2011
2010 Sophomore Season
  • Began the year as K-State's regular kicker, hitting a 35-yard field goal and booting four touchbacks against UCLA, earning Big 12 Special Teams Player of the Week honors
  • Took a fake field goal in for a touchdown against Missouri State
2009 Freshman Season
  • Redshirted
  • A former soccer player at Missouri State who transferred to K-State prior to the 2009 season
High School
  • A four-year letterwinner for Kapun Mt. Carmel
  • 20-of-23 career field goals, including a long of 50 yards... Connected on 145-of-147 PATs
  • Named all-city four times, all-state three times and all-metro twice
  • Selected to the 2008 Kansas Shrine Bowl
  • Also lettered four years in soccer, leading his team to a state runner-up finish on two occasions


2012: 19 of 23 (82.6%) FGs; 64 of 64 PATs; 121 points
2011: 17 of 23 (73.9%) FGs; y of y PATs; 99 points
2010: 1 of 2 (50.0%) FGs; 6 of 7 PATs; 9 points

Anthony provided us the following thoughts on his college career and his potential pro career:
"Four years ago, if anyone would've told me that I would have the opportunity to play professional football, I would have laughed at them. I spent my first year in college playing soccer at Missouri State University but quickly lost my passion for it. At that point I decided to give football a shot and Kansas State was the only school to give me an opportunity. Even then I had my doubts that I would ever see the field. Things started to work out for me however, and I developed much more than I ever thought I would. I now have the opportunity to possibly play in the NFL, which is a dream come true just to be considered a prospect. I know that making it at the next level is very hard to do and I am looking forward to the challenge, but if things do not work out I am still extremely grateful to have been given the opportunity at K-state and to meet some amazing people along the way."

No comments:

Post a Comment