the study of the kicking components within sports

Friday, August 16, 2013

ArenaBowl XXVI: Carlos Martinez & Garrett Lindholm

Saturday's ArenaBowl XXVI in Tampa features a rematch of last year's teams - the Philadelphia Soul and the Arizona Rattlers. In preparation for the big game, we spoke to the key player from each team.

Carlos Martinez, Soul kicker

2013: 6 of 7  (85.7%) on field goals with a long of 47 yards, 126 of 140 (90.0%) extra points

What do you consider your biggest kick of the year so far?
"I have had numerous big kicks. It seems that every single fg I made this year was important in that situation. Possessions in the arena football are very important and while playing San Jose I hit a 48 yarder to put us up 2 possession going into the half on the road in a hostile San Jose environment."
Can you give us an idea of what your itinerary looks like this week heading into the championship game… the life of an AFL kicker heading into the big game?
"I just got into Orlando Wednesday night and now we are on our way to practice this morning and we have a walk through tomorrow. This is my first arena bowl so I am just going to enjoy the moment and the events leading up to the championship game. My life as a kicker has dramatically changed. I work for Enterprise rent-a-car as a branch manager of two locations and then I meet up with the team to play a game on the weekends. I run and lift four days a week and I would not be able to make this happen if I didn't have a huge support system at home. My wife has helped me get through this season being home with a our first child while I have been on the road for 20 strait weekends.  I'm blessed to have somebody like her and now I feel fortunate I get to share this week with her, my son, and my family. GO SOUL!"
Garrett Lindholm, Rattlers kicker

2013: named AFL Kicker of the Year, 7 of 12 (58.3%) on field goals with a long of 47 yards, 158 of 167 (94.6%) extra points

What do you consider your biggest kick of the year so far?
"No specific kick stands out from this year. With arena every extra point or field goal from the beginning of the game till the end could be pivotal in deciding the outcome of the game. So, any PAT or FG against any good opponent for me is a big kick."
Can you give us an idea of what your itinerary looks like this week heading into the championship game… the life of an AFL kicker heading into the big game?
"We flew in over night and had practice this [Thursday] morning at the Citrus Bowl so I'm worn out and would like to get some sleep. But that's not going to happen because we have Media Day this afternoon and Gala later tonight. Tomorrow is just a standard meeting day that all teams have so between tomorrow's meetings and the game it's all mental preparation for me. I'll stretch, ice bath, and hang out with the guys as we relax and get prepared for the game. I'll take it as just another game, so no need to change up my routine now."
Bonus commentary from Garrett's wife Betsy Lindholm:
"The kicking game will be fun to watch this weekend. Both kickers have really excelled this season. Garrett is kicking very accurate after practicing on arena poles for 6 months now. As long as there is good teamwork as far as the snap, hold, and kick, I'm confident he can convert from any distance on the arena field. In team warm ups he has been making them from 50-60 yards out. Which on the 9 feet apart uprights is pretty hard to do. One fun thing to watch is Garrett's onside kicks. He has always been very talented at those, as he showed in the last game when he dribbled it 10 yards and then ended up catching it himself. 

I just hope they enjoy the game, they have all worked very hard all season long. He has been very lucky to have such a good holder this year in backup QB Jason Murrietta. Coach Kevin Guy seems to really trust the field goal unit from any distance on the field, so if it does come down to a field goal, we expect to see the Rattlers gaining 3 points."

No comments:

Post a Comment