the study of the kicking components within sports

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Big Kickers on Campus, 2013 week 2



A summary of notable kicking during the second week of the 2013 college football season: 

Junior kicker Niklas Sade hit a 48 yard field goal with 33 seconds left to give North Carolina State 23-21 over Richmond.
"I usually don't watch the ball, especially on longer kicks. I just try to focus on the ball, so I don't pull my head up and pull the ball. As soon as that one left my foot, though, I felt that one was good.''
Kicker Denton Kolodzinski hit five field goals, including a 40 yarder with 18 seconds remaining, to lift Saskatchewan 36-34 over Manitoba.
"Manitoba was punting out of their endzone so for quite a bit I knew it might come down to me kicking the field goal. I cleared my mind and swung at a few kicks while the offence tried to get closer, although we were already in field goal range. I knew I had kicked from 44 earlier and just trusted in what I was doing. The snap was good, the protection was good, the hold was good, and it all came together and the kick was good. I was extremely excited, it went through and the team erupted! It was one of the most exciting moments in kicking, because you don't get a lot of opportunities to kick the game winner with 11 seconds left too often. It was a great team effort overall and they put me in a great spot to do my job."
Senior kicker Richie Leone hit five field goals (40, 19, 19, 24 & 22 yards) in Houston's 22-13 win over Temple

Freshman kicker Alec Finney hit 42 field goal as time expired to give Sacred Heart a 26-24 win over Lafayette.
"If it wasn't for Chris being a good mentor since beginning of camp and getting my mindset right it would have been a lot harder to go out and kick that ball."
Senior kicker Cameron Berra's 36 yard field goal in double overtime gave Eastern Illinois a 40-37 win over Southern Illinois.
“Everybody is always positive. Coaches, players say 'we're going to need you at the end.... It's a great feeling to run down the field."
Junior kicker Justin Gravely hit a 31 yard field goal with 42 seconds remaining to lift North Greenville to a 26-24 win over Albany State.

Junior kicker Devonte Hunt made a 30 yard field goal as time expired to lift Virginia State 29-28 over Fayetteville State.

Senior kicker Derek Koon hit a 39 yard field goal with six minutes left to give Truman State a 40-37 win over Southwest Baptist
"I guess it didn't really hit me until after the game was over that it was the deciding factor in the game. I was just happy I was able to get my team that first win of the season."
Kicker Lirim Hajrullahu hit five field goals (25, 42, 31, 39 & 42 yards) in Western's 58-15 win over McMaster.

Freshman kicker Steve Crenshaw hit 25 yard field goal with one second left to give Hendrix College a 46-44 win over Westminster. It was Hendrix's first game a 53 year hiatus.

Senior kicker Andrew Furney made a 41 yard field goal with 3:03 remaining to lift Washington State 10-7 over USC.

Senior kicker Carl Salazar hit a 34 yard field goal as time expired to give Tulsa a 30-27 win over Colorado State.
"It just feels amazing to make my teammates happy. It's cool to see them dancing around all over the place. But I didn't do anything extraordinary."
Sophomore kicker Gavin Voss made a 29 yard field goal with 4:51 remaining to lift St. Joseph's (IN) 34-31 over Valparaiso.
As the offense drives up the field I'm kicking into the net taking some no steps, one steps and full steps, preparing like I do every time. I've been in this situation multiple times last year for Valpo to get our team in position to score in the fourth quarter and vs Quincy University in overtime to win it. I was still nervous but I was telling myself it's just an extra point, head down, swing through. I get on the field and do everything correct and the ball goes through the uprights 29 yards out on the right hash to put the Pumas up by 3. I was so relieved, excited, and grateful that it went in. It's shows practice does make perfect. I went to the sidelines and we have a kicking coach who kicked for Hawaii University and in the AFL, and he congratulated me and I just waited on the sideline hoping our defense would hold because there were four minutes still left in the 4th. Pumas win 34-31.”
Freshman kicker Tucker Nichols hit a 23 yard field goal in overtime to give Rhodes College a 24-21 win over Austin College.

Junior kicker Oleg Parent's 19 yard field goal in the second overtime gave North Carolina Central a 23-20 win over St. Augustine's.

Sophomore kicker William Will accounted for all of the scoring in the second half with field goals of 32, 25 & 25 yards to lead Dayton 23-20 past Duquesne.

Freshman kicker Ron Coluzzi hit a 27 yard field goal as time expired to give Central Michigan a 24-21 win over New Hampshire.
“I’ve dreamed about a game-winning kick every single day."
Freshman kicker Alexi Johnson hit a 40-yard field goal with six seconds left to to give St. John's (MN) a 17-14 victory over Wisconsin-River Falls.
"I couldn't have gotten this opportunity without my team. They are the ones who got me in position to have this amazing opportunity. I was nervous knowing there could be a chance for me to kick during our final drive. Now when I went out on to the field I had really no clue the distance. I just lined up and got a good snap and hold which allowed me to get my kick off. As it left my foot I knew it was good."
Senior kicker Tyler Keck hit a school record four field goals (31, 25, 36 & 36 yards) to lead Trine to a 19-3 win over Manchester.

If we missed someone that should be on the above list, please let us know!

No comments:

Post a Comment