the study of the kicking components within sports

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Big Kickers on Campus, 2013 week 4


A summary of notable kicking during the fourth week of the 2013 college football season: 

Sophomore kicker Matthew Wyman hit a 52 yard field goal as time expired to give Kansas a 13-10 win over Louisiana Tech.
“I was thinking, ‘I do this in practice every day. I can do this.’ You’ve got to be confident to be a kicker. That’s what was going through my mind: ‘I’m going to make this kick. I’m going to drill it.’ I always talk myself up before I go up there.... For a second my leg got caught, but I got it out. I was actually worried that I was going to get hurt. … They finally got off of me, I ran over to the student section and they gave me a warm welcome. It’s weird knowing that [last year] I was up in the student section, cheering, saying, ‘I know I can do this.’ And now I’m here in front of all these cameras. It’s a lot to take in. It’s been a short period of time.”
Sophomore kicker Shane Kelly hit a 32 yard field goal with 15 seconds remaining to lift Mount St. Joseph 16-13 over Hanover.

Junior kicker Steven Calitri hit a 40 yard field goal with 17 seconds left in the game to give Central Connecticut State a 20-17 win over Albany.
"This kick was my third career game-winner. I kicked two game winning field goals in high school at Norwich Free Academy, but this was my first successful game-winning field goal as a college kicker at Central Connecticut State University. Two weeks prior to the Albany game, I had an opportunity against Lehigh University to kick a potential game-winner. Unfortunately, the 40-yard kick missed left over the upright. In the two weeks leading up to the UAlbany game, I maintained my same practice routine and mental preparation. I am grateful for the support from my teammates and coaches during that time.              

As time was winding down in the fourth quarter with the score tied at 17, I knew that it could very well come down to a game-winning field goal attempt. In order to stay calm, I stayed loose on the sideline and kicked into the net. I visualized every situation I could be in such as a long field goal try, hurry field goal, and left hash or right hash. My mind briefly dwelled on the chance of redemption from two weeks ago. I quickly put that miss out of my mind and isolated the task at hand. My teammates and coaches were confident in me to make the kick. When fourth down came, Coach McInerney made the call to kick the field goal and I ran out to the left hash. My holder, Nick Baccarella, gave a few words of encouragement and I took my steps. On every field goal I try to focus on one singular piece of the kick. For this kick it was operation time. I focused on executing my steps immediately on the movement of my snapper, Jake White. The kick happened in a blink of an eye and I knew as soon as I kicked it that it was good. I turned around and said a quick prayer as my teammates congratulated me. The team was able to protect the lead for the remaining 17 seconds left on the clock and that’s when it finally hit me. If it wasn’t for the great play by the offense and defense all game, I would not have had the opportunity to kick the game-winner. I am thankful for having the opportunity to win the game for my teammates, coaches, CCSU fans, my parents and family, and my friends. Go Blue Devils!"
Freshman kicker Isaac Robinson made a 19 yard field goal with three seconds remaining to give Frostburg State a 36-33 win over Case Western Reserve.

Senior kicker Colton Cook's 38 yard field goal in overtime lifted Southern Utah to a 24-21 win over Sacramento State.
"When we went into overtime - all the players were getting excited and telling me to 'keep your damn head down and follow through' ( which they always say to me )... Once the Sac State kicker missed his field goal attempt - the pressure/stress went away and I felt very confident that I would make my kick."
Freshman kicker Vince Sciorrotta hit a 31 yard field goal with nine seconds left to lift Delta State to a 37-34  victory over North Alabama.

Junior kicker Garrett Mead hit a school-record five field goals (31, 19, 24, 37 & 27 yards) to lead Michigan Tech 29-7 over Walsh.
"The one kick that I really thought stood out for me was the 37 yarder because I had to kick it into about a 15 mph head wind and I thought it was probably just the best kick I had overall. For finding out right after the 5th field goal they announced it over the speakers at the game and I thought it helped out the excitement for the game. It's a great feeling to be able to have had a impact on the game and had the opportunity to break a school record. I gotta give thanks to all the other guys on our field goal team because the protection was never stressed, the snaps were spot on, and the holds were perfect which makes my job that much easier."
Junior kicker Brandon Snyder hit a 25 yard field goal as time expired to lift Delaware Valley 20-17 over Albright
 
Senior kicker Jordan Day's 35 yard field goal with 10:52 to go in the fourth quarter was the only score as Gardner-Webb  won 3-0 over Wofford.
“I trusted that they would do their jobs and I was confident that I could do mine. Nat did a great job getting that hold down. It was not easy at all. I told him, 'That was all you, man.’ … I’ve never been so happy to make a field goal in my life. It was just so nice because of how tough it was in the kicking game all around. It absolutely feels better than last week.”
Senior kicker Brendan Gibbons made a 21 yard field goal with 4:36 remaining to give Michigan a 24-21 win over Connecticut.

Sophomore kicker Bryan Arbes accounted for all of the scoring, with three first half field goals, in  West Liberty's 9-0 win over West Virginia State.

Freshman kicker Brandt Davis made a 20 yard field goal in overtime to give Carleton College a 20-17 win over Hamline
"It was a great opportunity for me to finally end the game. Our defense shut them out and our offense put me in great position. If anything, I wanted to make sure that there work wasn't for nothing. Great snap, great hold and I put it through. It's fantastic when those three elements work together and we had it going last night."
Freshman kicker Jamie McGee's 43 yard field goal with 10:03 remaining gave Arkansas-Monticello a 22-20 win over Northwestern Oklahoma State.

Freshman kicker Jeremiah Carter hit a 28 yard field goal with 16 seconds remaining to give Trinity International (IL) a 41-39 win over St. Francis (IL).

If we missed someone that should be on the above list, please let us know!

No comments:

Post a Comment