the study of the kicking components within sports

Friday, October 17, 2014

High School Long Kicks - Kentucky

Our series exploring the longest field goals at the high school level in each state continues with Kentucky.
  • 60 (free kick) Tyler Pack for Johnson Central High during 51-0 win over Greenup County on October 11, 2013.

  • 58 Tyler Pack for Johnson Central High during 53-7 win over Perry Central on September 13, 2013.
"Before the kick, I looked up and realized how far away the kick really was. I was nervous and could hear the crowd cheering and I didn't want to let them down.  When I first kicked the ball, I knew immediately that I had the distance and the kick was on frame.  After I realized what I had done, I was just overcome with excitement as my teammates began to beat the heck out of my helmet.

Right after the kick was made, my holder Zac Gound, looked up at me and asked if I knew what I had just done.  I told him no because I had thought that I was a yard short of the record.  Then the PA guy announced to the crowd that I had kicked the state record.  Although I was hearing everything, it didn't truly sink in until after the game and everyone was mentioning who I tied and where he went to college."
  • 58 Aaron Pettrey for Raceland–Worthington High School against Berea High on September 26, 2003.
"It wasn't quite Joe Namath guaranteeing a Super Bowl victory, but Aaron Pettrey of Raceland thought he had a shot at kicking the longest field goal in state history last week. Before every game Pettrey checks the weather and field conditions, then tells Coach Randy Vanderhoof how far he thinks he can kick it that night. 'Friday he told me, 'Whatever the state record is,' Vanderhoof said. Sure enough, Pettrey booted a 58-yard field goal against Berea, eclipsing the record of 57 yards set by Dustin Wynn of Middlesboro five years ago. 'Right after I kicked it I knew it was good,' Pettrey said. "It was exciting because I've been looking for (the record) a couple years.' Pettrey credits his holder (Les Colegrove), snapper (Ryan Wells) and offensive line for helping him get the record."
  • 57 Dustin Wynn for Middlesboro High against Harlan on October 2, 1998.
  • 57 Sean Nuernberger (Oldham Co.) vs. Ballard, 10-25-13 57
  • 57 Shane Popham (Covington Catholic) vs. Bishop Watterson (OH), 2006
  • 56 Monte Merrick (Bell Co.) vs. Rockcastle County, 2007 
  • 55 Taylor Long (Christian Co.) vs. Graves Co., 10-22-04 
  • 54 Jordan Skeeters (North Hardin) vs. Pleasure Ridge Park, 10-4-02 
  • 54 Justin Willis (South Oldham) vs. Holy Cross (Louisville), 9-13-02 
  • 54 Shawn Payne (Owensboro Cath.) vs. Butler Co., 1999 
  • 54 Dustin Wynn (Middlesboro) vs. Evarts, 1997

No comments:

Post a Comment